Is anything needed to wire alpine head unit to factory amps?

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am putting an alpine cd player in and I wasn't sure if I needed to wire a remote turn on to the factory amps or anything else just wondering before I start my project?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Possibly, depends on exactly which player you have and whether it matches the factory wires. Some Alpines do, some don't. Only way to know for sure is to take the four or five minutes to pull your head unit out of the dash: pull the surround bezel off, being very careful to not scratch your dash from the sharp metal snaps on the back of the bezel, then remove the two screws that hold the head unit in and slide it out.

Stock Viper stereos use a DIN connector for the audio output, which is connected to the amp(s); dual amps for Gen I, single amp for Gen II, and a normal moly-type connector for the power/dash lights/etc which is trivial to splice into if it doesn't match (which it probably won't). If you're putting a different Alpine head unit in, theres a chance it may match. If you put a non-Alpine head unit in, there's no chance it will match :cool: , and you have to make a converter, which I've had to do a couple of times.