Is it only my bad luck

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I buy a car and have it shipped from forum sponser dealer. Everything is great. but now they lost paperwork apparently, I have no certificate of origin, my temporary tag is no longer valid come the 14th and i am so pi$$ed off. I run a business and cant understand why everyone drops the ball when it comes to me. :dunno:

I must be nieve. Now I have to get a rental to drive around and pay for that on top of everything else. I gave them money and my trade, my new loan on the viper is coming due already and I even paid them a few hundred more because they got the payoff wrong on my truck. :omg:

I know this is a good place and have faith but they have the next few days to work this out.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went through this with the new Benz, they can send you a new temp tag while they work out the problem, I went through 2 temp tags while I waited:2tu:

OP
OP
T

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am not going to mention the dealer just because we all can drop the ball and as long as they come through then I'm happy. The deal up to this point was clean and simple. Just checked and my trade was paid off so I dont understand the hold up.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about the car u just got,dealer probably doesnt have the title yet

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to pester the dealer I bought my used Viper from for the title. Wasn't a site sponsor, no trade in or anything like that. But I paid cash for the vehicle and sending me the title should have been about as simple as it gets. Still had to pester them.

But I kept my cool and pestered gently. And got the title eventually.

Good luck with your new purchase!

OP
OP
T

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, so no new temp tag, but they will reimburse me for the rental in the mean time. My bank sent out the title but dealer didnt get it yet. I hate snail mail.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They got to get the title released from the bank holding their floorplan. Sooo they want send you a $10 drive out tag but will pay for a $25 a day civic for possibly 2 weeks or more?? Sad u pay for a viper and got to drive a Civic:2tu::headbang:. Tell them you are gonna rent a viper equivalent to yours:D

OP
OP
T

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Id love to see their face when they open the bill for a 2 week Viper rental...:lmao:

Its ok, Im still taking it easy on the Viper but will beat the Shi/ out of that civic.:drive:

OP
OP
T

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well at least I got my VCA number today. Can someone upgrade me please? Viper Club number 25189 New Jersey

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went thru 3 21-day tags on the Charger before I got the plates in. Temp tags are AWESOME!!! If you bought out of state then you can't register it until you get your MSO - this means you don't have to pay the taxes until it comes in. Temp tags are legal license so run on them as long as you can and consider it a free loan on the money you haven't paid in taxes yet. And be sure to not register/pay the taxes until you current temp tag expires!

Good luck!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am attempting to verify your VCA number, you hold the worlds speed record for getting a number if you don't have even the mso yet.

EDIT FOLLOW UP. You're all set, you got the speed record for VCA numbers....Welcome!

Last edited:

VENOMNS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove for a year and a half with no tag... guess I was lucky!!
" sorry officer.. I just bought the car from Michigan and just waiting on the DMV!!" they were 4 - 6 months behind on the personalized plates!! hahaha

:D

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats AWESOME!!!! That's $2-300 in you pocket from interest alone on the money you kept in the bank for sales tax!!!

I drove for a year and a half with no tag... guess I was lucky!!
" sorry officer.. I just bought the car from Michigan and just waiting on the DMV!!" they were 4 - 6 months behind on the personalized plates!! hahaha

:D

BTW:
I don't like paying taxes if you can't tell...It's not what you make, it's what you keep!

OP
OP
T

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea my tax money is just gonna sit there until I get this Certificate of Origin paper. New Jersey is just such a bad state to get pulled over in, I wonder if its a big deal.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so as long as you have a temp tag (valid) from any state. You probably already have an insurance binder in the car and the "contract" which would serve as your bill of sale - should cover all of the basis for any state's DMV/DOT/DPS/whatever.

I walked in to my tax office on 3/6 with the paperwork in hand and a contract from 2/5. She asked "temp tag just run out?". I laughed and said yep - holdin on to my 6400 bucks as long as possible. She replied "I don't know why everyone is in a hurry to pay their taxes until they are do, after all there is no "early payment" incentive.

I guess in TX we all have a bit of a renegade streak. Especially when it comes to handing over our money ;)

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some dealers (depending on the state you are in) cannot just send out another temp tag. It is illegal in VA for dealers to issue a second set of temp tags. You have to go to DMV and explain and then they have to give you the temp tags. So depending on where the dealer is located, it may explain why they are willing to pay the rental but not issue another set of temp tags. If you purchased from a smaller dealer, then they are scrutinized more closely by DMV because the smaller dealerships are more open to fraud.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6.25% here in good 'ole Texas.

try 7.75 in Nevada. its a royal pain in the wallet when you have to pay the registration here and in some cases like mine they don't believe what you paid is true so they charge you off MSRP!!! thats what I get for getting a good deal (at the time);)

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is a new vehicle that you purchased the certificate of orgin is easy to obtain.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also no state income tax in TX. TX taxes your purchases, not your income. They get you coming or going!

:hijack:

At least not yet, but there is a guy in Fort Worth that wants to start a Texas State Income Tax for all Texan's making over $100K a year.

Fort Worth State Rep. Lon Burnam says the state has “a profoundly unfair tax system.” He adds, "everybody can live on $100,000 a year and many of my constituents don't have enough to live on and they're paying a much higher percentage of their income in taxes than the people who make $100,000 a year. It is not fair, it is not right."

Sorry, back to DMV taxes.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are at 6.75% plus personal property tax. My SSG is now one year old, so it is time for new stickers...new bill $1,161.44 (it was about $300 more last year). Colorado *****....and the roads are crap.

OP
OP
T

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We are 7 percent here in Jersey but it is a one time tax. We dont pay tax on it year after year like some other states. Its also only on the difference of trade in vs. new car cost. This is why sometimes it is just easier to trade a car in here than to sell it privately. Its usually not worth the hassel once you factor in the tax difference.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TX used to be the "wild west/south" - now we have more immigrants from other states than we have natives and we too are "progressing" in our tax law. Sales is a 1-time tax as it should be. Annual tags are now up to about $60 plus annual inspection of ~$30 (maybe more, don't apply to where I live) if you live in an emission county or $15 if you don't. Used to be you could sale any car of any year for any amount so long as you signed the affidavit. I guess after enough 2-3 year old King Ranch Fords got sold for $500 they said enough and now they tell you the "book" value of the sold vehicle and apply sales tax accordingly. You have to prove the vehicle is not worth the "book" value if you want to dispute it. As always, since this is relatively new the "book" rates are really low. I'm sure they will creep it up every year hoping we don't notice....

VicTXV10,
That's why I only made $62k last year. At $100k you are already receiving maximum *********** from the IRS (what is it now, 48.5%). Yep, you can either buy crap or give it to a government (Fed or State). I know I'm not the only one on this board with an ACR for a company vehicle ;) It sure makes things hell when you're trying to buy stuff because my debt to income ratio is off the chart...or so they think ;) I think we're all just an audit away from reality...:dunno:

We are 7 percent here in Jersey but it is a one time tax. We dont pay tax on it year after year like some other states. Its also only on the difference of trade in vs. new car cost. This is why sometimes it is just easier to trade a car in here than to sell it privately. Its usually not worth the hassel once you factor in the tax difference.

OP
OP
T

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well here in Jersey we get hit with a surcharge on fuel inefficient vehicles over $45k. So I get to pay a surcharge twice.

I have to form my own government so I can start collecting all these fees twice. :lmao: