is it possible to have paint overspray from the factory???

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The general resounding statement that is being missing is that the cars are not painted and assembled in the same place. Unless someone has a touch up can of krylon in their tool chest a on spot touchup wouldn’t be an option?

I would say with 100% certainty that my hood vents were painted while affixed to the hood. I removed both of them to clean around the outside edge and they were tacked to the hood with the nuts removed. Needless to say I will never take those things off again, its a PITA to put them back on.

I think a picture of said overspray would go a long way. Unless the inside of the hood vents are masked it would almost be impossible for paint to not work its way through them, after all they are vents. The inside portion of my hood behind the naca even has blue paint on it and the stripes masked up into the underside of the hood. Edit, if you want to see some good pics check this thread. I dug into it prior to getting my fascia repainted.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/581596-stripes-clear-coated.html

Take a look at these pics, sorry I couldn’t drag out the halogens and had to use the flash. I believe this is what you are referring to?

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
V

ViperperfectionGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The attached pictures are similar to the overspray that I saw. I am out of town until Monday, but I will post pics as soon as I return.
Thanks

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the painting process used at most of the Big 3 plants? I have seen most of them. Overspray is VERY common. Look under the hood of most of the late 90s and early 2000 Ford trucks for example. They paint the rubber hood adjusters. Most of the overspray, which is actually more common now than in the 60s, is less noticeable because the things that used to be painted black, such as firewalls and radiator supports, are now painted the same color as the outer body panels exept with a matte finish. Most OEM paint is done with a robotic electrostatic process now that brings the transfer rate from about 65% up to about 97% and the body, doors, and hood/trunk panels are painted before assembly, however, overspray and QC repairs are very common, even on a hand assembled car using pre-painted panels. Do you really think that if a GEN2 hood were to have been slightly damaged in shipping or during assembly with maybe just a slight scratch they would just scrap a $16,000+ part?

I did say in my original post that I doubt that it is the case in the Viper.

Lucky you to be buying such perfectly painted and assembled cars. Makes me wonder why the Big 3 is going broke with such perfection.

There really isn't much left to say to you, as others have pointed out that you make no sense in this post...

So, you might want to backtrack on your examples of 60's musclecars, late 90's Ford trucks and certainly for your electrostatic painting process... (You know Vipers are not metal bodied, right?)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here ya go. Just pulled my hood off and took this shot. Yellow overspray all over the black . same on both sides. Click on image to enlarge.
[img [media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/uploads/25866/Vent_1.JPG[/media] /img]

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 days Later...:)

now how about a pic of the backside

of the vents

mine looks similar to sirhc76's with the slight blue around some edges. Also the white stuff thats on the back of these and some other edges of the hood that looks like chalk or roadsalt but isnt, What is this stuff? possibly the fiberglass naturaly drying out?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so are those extra (red) vents bolted on and used for additional down force????:lmao::lmao::lmao:

And, lastly, do the rags provide "cleaner" air?????

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There really isn't much left to say to you, as others have pointed out that you make no sense in this post...

So, you might want to backtrack on your examples of 60's musclecars, late 90's Ford trucks and certainly for your electrostatic painting process... (You know Vipers are not metal bodied, right?)

Did I ever ONCE say that VIPERS were painted electrostatically? No. What I said was that there is STILL overspray on OEM paint since the 60's and made a few examples. I also pointed out that it was UNLIKELY for there to be overspray on the Viper but still possible. Do I want to backtrack on my statement? No. My statement about the electrostatic painting process was simply to point out that even with the evolved and highly efficient process at a 95% transfer rate, overspray is still possible. I never once said that the Viper utilized this process.

You say others have stated that my post makes no sense but you seem to be the only one that doesn't understand.

GR8 ASP clarified that the parts were painted seperately and educated me to the fact that no repairs are made on site. He did not however seem to have any difficulty making sense out of my post. If I came across to him as abrupt or impolite, I'm sorry and I thank him for sharing his knowledge of the process used at CAAP.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhhhhh, thanks Dave, I completely understand now:dunno: My Chief is from "da Branx" and speaks quite similar to "dat":D

But, I is from da Branx too and dunt eva speak dat way!:lmao: