Is it safe to put infant car seat in this car? Wife says no!

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 3 month old baby she's everything to me, first child. My wife is super cool about my toys (as long as no other woman is involved) but she's four-square agaist putting the car seat in the viper. The manual states and shows how to anchor the car seat (08 I have) and it would be nice to be able to take out the viper this summer often days that are nice. Also I don't drive like an idiot on public roads I drive safer actually because of the cops, animals etc. All that I reserve for track days.

I'm comfortable with the car seat after seeing the manual but she says no insists we take one of the sedans we have.

Anyone else cool or uncool with a baby seat?

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see why it would be a problem since Viper has the LATCH system. Just put the seat in correctly and shut off the passenger airbag.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I take my son for a ride in mine all the time up and down my street 30-40 MPH max.

He loves growling at Sneaky Pete! He's only one and he's strating to do viper signs all on his own.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 3 month old baby she's everything to me, first child. My wife is super cool about my toys (as long as no other woman is involved) but she's four-square agaist putting the car seat in the viper. The manual states and shows how to anchor the car seat (08 I have) and it would be nice to be able to take out the viper this summer often days that are nice. Also I don't drive like an idiot on public roads I drive safer actually because of the cops, animals etc. All that I reserve for track days.

I'm comfortable with the car seat after seeing the manual but she says no insists we take one of the sedans we have.

Anyone else cool or uncool with a baby seat?

There was a thread on here a week or two ago about a guy who dodged a deer and hit a telephone pole with his gen 2. The front end was caved in a huge amount, in my opinion, but the passenger compartment was relatively undamaged. Show her those photos and she might come to the conclusion that a Viper survives a crash as well as a sedan.

Bob

p.s. Hey, triplexotica! That's a great photo!

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks! I was so tempted to strap my son in during the laps at Bell Isle.

I'll save it for VOI -XI he'll be three then! = )

Lucid if I were you to ease your wife wait til your daughter is 6 months old.

Just do as I did, take her around your block going really slow as they get a little older go around the neighborhood until they hit one and can use a forward facing baby seat that way they can really enjoy it.

If mine wasn't strapped in he would be doing the shifting for me.

He runs around the house making shifting noises! lol

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it from me, the viper handles crashes very well. I wrecked my gen II a couple
of weeks ago, hitting a telephone head on and the interior stayed untouched. Now
as far as you putting the car seat in it that will be your choice, its your child and if
you do what you say ( drive very carefull ) I see no problem with it. :2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a baby seat strapped into one of a Canadian Members RACE cars...the only problem I see, is that the baby seat was facing FORWARD in the FRONT. A HUGE no-no. I'm with your wife on this one. Use a BACK seat, baby facing BACKWARDS. AND congrats on your new young 'un! ENJOY! ~juli

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at all those rediculous safety stickers stuck all over the car.

Do you think a carmaker would put in a LATCH system if it were unsafe to do so in this day of litigation.

Besides your kid's already tougher than you, your wife just doesn't want to believe it. Remember, the human race survived long before side curtain airbags, and warnings of peanut allergies on the back of bags of peanuts.:cool:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had my one year old ride with me plenty of time. Just turned the air bag off. My wife also didnt have a problem with it. So.....listen to wife cause if something does happen you will never hear the end of it. But I personality think its safe.

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Accidents occur every day everywhere, BUT if you are a maniac with the Viper don't do it. Its not worth it. If you fully understand the precious cargo I don't think its a problem as long as you watch yourself and most importantly others. No racing to show the little one that Daddy is faster. I know its tempting but just remember your wife and drive safely. While that should keep you out of most trouble just remember accidents occur with all cars. The Viper was a result of an overengineered car and one heck of a chassis which is why we all love it so much. There is nothing like it.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you decide to put the baby seat in the Viper you have got to post pics of you and the little one on a cruise. Thats got to be a sight to see. Not sure what would get more attention....the car or the baby.:D

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Her concern is that kids usually shouldn't be in the front row of seats, so accomodate her, and use the trunk instead! ;)

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been driving with my daughter since she was around 2 years old. Before that age you're going to be dealing with frightening your child. Of course every child is different, but the noise level and jostling in a side pipe car will frighten a child. I'd wait till she's older.

Another issue is how you will likely drive with him/her in the car. If you drive like you typically would, then you're an idiot. If you drive slowly like a loving father, then you will soon find that it's no longer fun to drive your viper. Especially as you become hyper vigilant to all traffic within a 1/4 mile while having your "life" strapped into a car seat adjacent to your right elbow.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to convince my wife of the same thing. We have a baby on the way. The pic was taken (not by me) at VOI X I believe. It can be done...

IMGA03731.jpg

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My daughter has been riding with me since she was 1-1/2. She would say daddy car goes Vroooom. You do get some funny looks from all the moms on the road but most think it is great to see a dad with his daughter in the car.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait until the baby is older like 2. Why have an argument with wife over something the baby does not care one bit about, you said she is 3 months old right? When she is a little older she WILL want to go for a ride in dads car.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would wait until the child is a little older just to keep the wife happy and also when the infant can support his own head.... but if you insist make sure the infant has plenty of head support and use a car seat like the one pictured above where the infant is almost in a lying position versus upright..once they are a little older they all beg for rides....you don't have to worry about turning off the airbag on a generation 4

s41.JPG
s31.JPG

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple oldies but goodies. The 3 years she was able to use the center seat were the most enjoyable as the whole family could cruise. Until she was able to shift that is.

Note held down using 6 point mounts top and bottom. Very secure.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as you, but since I don't fully trust the Viper as it has no advanced safety features such as traction control and ESP/DSC/ESC, I don't know if I subject a child who doesn't know when the car is slipping (which our cars can do so well quite easily) and wouldn't know how to react. You could traumatize them or injure them. Hey, you never know when an unforeseen situation arises or when you hit a patch or water/oil/etc. Just my opinion/fear.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN-IV's shut down the passenger airbag itself! If a kid (weight) is detected.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as you, but since I don't fully trust the Viper as it has no advanced safety features such as traction control and ESP/DSC/ESC, I don't know if I subject a child who doesn't know when the car is slipping (which our cars can do so well quite easily) and wouldn't know how to react. You could traumatize them or injure them. Hey, you never know when an unforeseen situation arises or when you hit a patch or water/oil/etc. Just my opinion/fear.

Gawd, this is the second post where you're pushing all that electronic nanny crap on our cars. Again, buy a Vette. It has all the nanny crap you love and it probably comes with a child seat option too.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gawd, this is the second post where you're pushing all that electronic nanny crap on our cars. Again, buy a Vette. It has all the nanny crap you love and it probably comes with a child seat option too.

Jeez Chuck, relax. I'm not pushing anything. Please, take your kids really fast and take really fast turns and knock yourself out. Sorry you don't give a crap about kids and their safety. It says a lot about your priorities in life. Maybe you don't have anything to lose. Your posts about bragging about lack of safety are sad, which I associate with Vette owners more than Viper owners...so maybe you should buy the Vette;) That's a joke Chuck...

Last edited:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's keep the conversation to the original topic...should a 3 month old be exposed to a snake ride?
In my opinion no. But for different reasons. Been there done that with offshore boats, have pictures of her sittiing in my lap when 2 weeks old when the boat was on the lift. I should have left it at that.
Instead she took rides in the boats, when she was old enough to talk she rejected them, in strong words.
I finally realized I scared her at too young an age to absorb the experience. Just the noise and motion.
A child that age is just going to recognize sound and motion....not good for our cars.
You may well scare her forever and she won't be a interested in the stuff with gasoline running throught it.
It took me a long time to get mine over that mistake. Fine now but we wasted a few years while she got over it, NOW I can't slow her down! Don't make that mistake with yours, you want to enjoy the toys with her when she is able to appreciate them. That sharing stuff is important to guys like us.
Don't blow it, wait till maybe 18 months..2 years. You have to able to communicate at least a little to share an experience and tell her about it as it is happening. That gets rid of the fear.
Don't worry about your wife or the conflict of disagreeing with her. She may have different reasons or fears but just think about what I said. For YOUR reasons.
Be patient and you will have a "car girl" to share the rest of your life with. Not some one who says she is not interested in going for a ride when she is 12.
This made me think of a great quote from the original Father of the Bride movie.

"A son is a son till he takes him a wife, a daughter is a daughter for the rest of your life."

My daughter is 24 and it all turned out great, the above is really true, you just have to be really careful not to screw it up, it's easy to do. Don't push.

Oh, almost forgot, put her in the car, in the drivers seat, and take a bunch of pictures, do it every year, topped off by the year she gets her license. You won't believe how cool that is if you do it. Finally she will reach the steering wheel! Even if it's every five years or so. She will love it when she is finally of driving age.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's keep the conversation to the original topic...should a 3 month old be exposed to a snake ride?
In my opinion no. Been there done that with offshore boats, have pictures of her sittiing in my lap when 2 weeks old when the boat was on the lift. I should have left it at that.
Instead she took rides in the boats, when she was old enough to talk she rejected them, in strong words.
I finally realized I scared her at too young an age to absorb the experience. Just the noise and motion.
A child that age is just going to recognize sound and motion....not good for our cars.
You may well scare her forever and she won't be a "car girl"
It took me a long time to get mine over that mistake. Don't make it with yours, you want to enjoy the toys with her when she is able to appreciate them. That sharing stuff is important to guys like us.
Don't blow it, wait till maybe 18 months..2 years. You have to able to communicate at least a little to share an experience and tell her about it as it is happening. That gets rid of the fear.
Don't worry about your wife or the conflict of disagreeing with her. She may have different reasons or fears but just think about what I said.
Be patient and you will have a "car girl" to share the rest of your life with. Not some one who says she is not interested in going for a ride when she is 12.
This made me think of a great quote fro the original Father of the Bride movie.

"A son is a son till he takes him a wife, a daughter is a daughter for the rest of your life."

My daughter is 24 and it all turned out great, the above is really true, you just have to be really careful not to screw it up, it's easy to do.

Thank you for your wise insight Lee. I am also concerned about "traumatizing them" at a young age. I'd wait until they truly have an interest and understanding about cars, which is what I have done in the past with older kids. Then they become car people (or Viper people in this case) for life. Just like the rest of life, it's a fine line.