Is it true? Gen I more reliable than Gen III?

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I currently own a 1994 viper, hence the user name :), but I am considering to finally switch to a 2003-2005 car. Went to see some old buddies who play with motors. They told me that the gen 1 engine is more reliable than gen 3... Starting from oiling issues, going to spun #5 bearings on gen 3s. Any input will be appreciated. I track my car as much as I can. Not too too much. The question is: should I stick to my dinosaur? Im on a budget, so looking for moderately priced gen 3 not in a mint condition, and found a few. But now im worried that it might be a case of : nothing good comes cheap. (my 94 came tho :) )

PS. the car that im looking at now has an ABS light (Never cared for ABS, but might it be tell tell sign of a more serious problem? ) Also, the gear shifter is very sticky ( the shifter move feels very gooey, for a lack of expression) Is this normal?
Thank you all

viper vince

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gen 3 car did have some oiling issues only if you track the car.But otherwise a much better car than a gen 1 car in my opinion.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never heard that. My 06 and 08 ACR have been the most reliable cars I have ever owned and I have now owned more than 50 different sports cars.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do go Gen3 and track your car you will need to modify your oil pan with a swinging oil pick up or kiss you engine good by. Some other issue with oil lines and cooling fans but that's about it.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you do go Gen3 and track your car you will need to modify your oil pan with a swinging oil pick up or kiss you engine good by. Some other issue with oil lines and cooling fans but that's about it.

Oh, is that all?

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, is that all?

On the street no issues, one the track some issues. One the track with slicks, almost garenteed to have issues with the gen III.

My Gen III's have been drop dead reliable, not even little stuff breaking. More reliable then even some new cars that I have owned that never see any sort of the abuse that a viper will.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Potential oiling issues on the Gen III as was previously mentoned only if you track the car. Gen III has a more reliable engine. This is from a guy who has owned both (and one who had to go through the paper head gasket saga on his Gen I).

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my # 10 connecting rod went on my gen 3, 440 miles after I bought it, bone stock, not even a muffler delete in her.

I made the most out of it, had Tator build the monster and Sean TT it after so it worked out but yeah it was a sad day when that happened.

Gen 1 MUCH stronger motor IMO

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
my # 10 connecting rod went on my gen 3, 440 miles after I bought it, bone stock, not even a muffler delete in her.

I made the most out of it, had Tator build the monster and Sean TT it after so it worked out but yeah it was a sad day when that happened.

Gen 1 MUCH stronger motor IMO

How many miles were on the car total when the rod went? Just kind of curious if it was a defect or just a potentially hard life.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it had 59k but I hear my case is somewhat common at much lower miles

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a couple Gen 3s now and both of them I drove very hard a good portion of the time. Never had a problem with either car. Current Gen3 I have has 31k on the clock. If you plan track yours, just upgrade to a Gen 4 oil system. It doesn't cost that much.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it had 59k but I hear my case is somewhat common at much lower miles

I don't think so. The common issue with the Gen III is oil stavation due to tracking which was already discussed. I personally haven't heard of many connecting rod failures on Gen III engines. Your data point, considering your car had over 50k miles when you acquired it, may be lacking some validity unless you know how it was driven by the previous owner/owners.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first started looking at Vipers I asked my buddy who worked at Archer Racing. He told me stay away from Gen I, because of the engine and if I were to buy get a Gen II or III.

Take it for what its worth.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't speak to the reliability of a Gen1. I can however tell you that the Gen3 engine is a beast and extremely reliable on track WITH full on SLICKS! I race mine and its a track only (fully caged and race prep). My engine is completely stock other then exhaust bolt on. You do however need to put in the swing oil pan and run a high quality 15/50 oil (I run Motul 300v race oil). I have beat on my poor Gen3 engine like nobody's business and it just runs. Now the one fault the GEN3 does have is the power steering pump and line failure. That issue has plagued nearly every Viper owner I have met at the track in these cars.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't speak to the reliability of a Gen1. I can however tell you that the Gen3 engine is a beast and extremely reliable on track WITH full on SLICKS! I race mine and its a track only (fully caged and race prep). My engine is completely stock other then exhaust bolt on. You do however need to put in the swing oil pan and run a high quality 15/50 oil (I run Motul 300v race oil). I have beat on my poor Gen3 engine like nobody's business and it just runs.

Now this is what I like to hear!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Is there anything in particular that accelerates the power steering issue? I've got 55k miles on my gen 3 and I haven't hardly seen a drop of any fluid under it in the 12k I've owned it. Not sure if the lines have ever been replaced though, would have to look harder next time I'm under there.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anything in particular that accelerates the power steering issue? I've got 55k miles on my gen 3 and I haven't hardly seen a drop of any fluid under it in the 12k I've owned it. Not sure if the lines have ever been replaced though, would have to look harder next time I'm under there.

There are two aspects to the failures. First the pump, there isn't much you can do here and I haven't found any particular reason as to when they go. Obviously racing Slicks put a bit more load on the pump but I honestly don't think that causes it. The next area of failure is in the OEM line from the upper side of the pump/reservoir to the bottom of the cooling fan unit. The line has an embedded seal that goes bad. This part can now be upgraded as of this year. There is a vendor that makes a new braided line setup that seems to have fixed this part. I have had and seen the system fail slowly (starting with very small leak that is almost unseen because the fan blows the fluid down the engine and it burns up or evaporates until it gets worse). I have seen the lines goes full out where fluid is leaking very steady and at speed will spray a little up through the hood vents onto the windshield. I moved to RedLine powersteering fluid and the braided setup with no issue so far. MoparMap if you have gotten 12K your doing good. I think my first failure was around 12-14K miles or so. I wont say it will happen to everyone but I will say everyone I have met at the track with a Gen3 has replaced one of the two:dunno::D

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen III window regulator problems. I guess that's not a problem on the Gen I. ;)

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I first started looking at Vipers I asked my buddy who worked at Archer Racing. He told me stay away from Gen I, because of the engine and if I were to buy get a Gen II or III.

Take it for what its worth.

All year Viper motors are pretty reliable and sturdy.

GEN II 1996-1999 are the strongest of the Viper motors for obvious reasons. Throw high boost TT' kit on a GEN1, GEN2 (not inc. 01-02), GEN3, GEN4, and a GEN5 motor and wait to see which one fails first. Money's on the GEN2 motor lasting the longest.

OP
OP

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank u all for the input! I just (two days ago) picked up an 05 :). What is the difference between the swinging oil pen and gen 4 oiling system? price wise and installation difficulty. thank you all again

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dans Product is the way to go. I have it on my car and it works flawlessly.

As far a reliability, in the 8 years of owning my car, the only issue that came up is a frozen AC/heat fan. Stupid me I left mine on at the track during a hot summer day and the condensation rusted the fan. 100 part and 20 minutes to install.