Is my 08 Viper down on power?

weightlifter123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was running 40 in 2nd gear and punched it. Not real fast just rolled it to the floor expecting wheelspin. But it didn't spin and didn't seem to accelerate like you would expect a 600HP car to. So I tried again from 40 and stab it pretty fast and still the same thing...ran it up to 6K in 2nd and hit 3rd real good and it barked the tires on the 2nd to 3rd shift but just didn't seem to have much pull. I was going to try a first gear punch but didn't have the time. Is this normal? The temp gauge was at 185 and the temp outside was 85 and about 6pm in the evening. I had a 400RWHP 02 Vette (yes I know) with an automatic that broke the tires loose in 2nd gear roll ons (on occasion) at 70 and 80 mph with sticky tires.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope you don't have one of those "cursed" SSG cars.

They come equipped with the "crash package" that kicks in at any time.
:omg:

Take it and get it dynoed to see how much power the car has.

If you lose control on the street looking to get squirly, you might end up with more than you bargained for.

Not a bash, but look at how many 08's have been totalled by people NOT looking to lose control.

Be careful out there.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1st your car won't have full power until up to 1000 miles not sure how many you have.

some 08s need a reflash from the dealer

2nd the ps2 tires on the rear are way more sticky than your 400 hp vette and thus there is alot of traction. I have ps2s on the rear of my 05 viper and you can floor it and most of the time just go, which is what you want, you don't want to lose traction and not go forward.

OP
OP
W

weightlifter123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HA-HA some funny replies there. Yeah the car has over 1000 miles now. No check engine light. No I didn't have a re-flash. How do you know if you need one? I thought the check engine light came on for those needing a re-flash. I thought about taking it to a dyno but wanted to see if other 08's do the same thing. Reading all these "crashed" threads I was under the impression that anything over 1/2 throttle and the car spins out of control and careens into trees and ditches so I was disappointed that full throttle was so uneventful LOL (not really)

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 40mph in 2nd gear you were most liking revving around 3000 rpms MAX. Max power isn't until +5500 rpms...
1st gear is good up to 60 mph, 2nd goes to 90 mph. Wrong gear maybe:dunno:?

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This thread is useless without a Youtube video of your attempts!!
:headbang:

daveat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed i want a youtube! and also agreed with the whole going 40mph you still should have been in 1st gear. try mashing in in second while your going 80 and see what happens (p.s. do not try this at home these are trained professionals blah blah blah don't blame us if you wreck your car trying to get it to break loose)

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try 2nd at 50 or 55. It's a different result with the two position cam kicked in.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What state are you in and what was the temp?
Also, try this at 80 deg F. Floor it in first, you should spin all the way to about 4000 rpm+. Shift at red line, if you are not spinning in second all the way to at least 3800 rpm, your car is probably underpowered.

I have ps2's and 528 rwhp and spin in second up to 4000 rpm w/ good tires.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What state are you in and what was the temp?
Also, try this at 80 deg F. Floor it in first, you should spin all the way to about 4000 rpm+. Shift at red line, if you are not spinning in second all the way to at least 3800 rpm, your car is probably underpowered.

I have ps2's and 528 rwhp and spin in second up to 4000 rpm w/ good tires.

I've got 560whp and 525trq, 1st gear at 40mph and I mash the throttle, I don't have wheelspin. Yay for PS2's that don't lose traction! Ask the Z06 owner that I gave a ride in today, he'll confirm :D

Jason

daveat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes with the ps2's you can roll the throttle on full in first with no spin but the do chirp pretty hard and try to go out of control, now if you rip off the clutch (pop the clutch) the will spin like CRAZY!! and if you rip it into second really hard it will continue with the joy.

long and short of it, the ps2 tires are 10 times better then the run flats.

OP
OP
W

weightlifter123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. It was 90 degrees out this weekend and the asphalt was nice and hot. You can indeed roll it to the floor in 1st. I am shocked at how well the tires grip. Yes, they spin if you shock them. The car is not as squirrelly as I was expecting. I bet it would be much more so with runflat tires. I wish I had a cam so I could post YouTube vids LOL. Really loving the car.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what you described is normal. In my 08 no wheel spin if I do a easy to moderate launch, but at about 5500 rpm in first gear the tires start to break loose. When I have launched from 60mph in 2nd gear no wheel spin at all. Also a very nice bark from the tires when shift from 2nd to 3rd. We have not had any 90 degree days yet, warmest days so far have been low 80s.

Unclestu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I kicked my 08 :2tu:in 2nd gear around 25 mph, and it broke em loose big time and shifted lanes.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sounds like a hot day, warm asphalt, good tires deal.

Try it again on a very cold day if you want to spin ..... but hold on.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps you ought to trade in your PS2s for runflats; I don't you'll have any problems finding takers at no cost to you.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>How do you know if you need one? I thought the check engine light came on for those needing a re-flash.<<<

How should the PCM know about a new software?
Let your VIN # check by a dealership.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too cannot really tell if the car has 600+ hp.

My car has 880 mi. on it and I am in warm SoCal.

The car definitely moves but hard to say exactly what the power is (I came from a 575hp C6 Z06 that was also very fast).

When I roll heavy into the throttle on a good surface when it is warm I do not break the tires loose if I am smooth. If you stab the throttle suddenly (shock it), then of course things will break loose.

Btw, my car had the computer flash before delivery--I verified it and a Viper Tech from the Factory was at my dealer.

Last edited:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Warmer weather equals two things... stickier tires and lower power... but that adds up to safer driving...

The opposite happens in the fall... looser tires, and cool intakes the cars "feel" stronger... part because the cool air helps, and partly because the tires break loose more easily.