Is NY next???

VIPERUSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some thing to think about,, don't shoot the messenger
:nono::nono::nono:

Subject: Fw: Illinois is the first

This is set up in Illinois now, if it works you can bet other states will be jumping on the bandwagon.

Something to look at and think about, NOW the law.

Oh yeah, they now need the money, too.

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July. One mile per hour over the speed limit and the machine will get you a nice $375.00 ticket in the mail. Beginning July 1st, the State of Illinois will begin using the speed cameras in areas designated as "Work Zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense. The SECOND offense will cost $1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allow insurance companies to raise insurance rates. This is the harshest penalty structure ever set for a governmental unit involving PHOTO speed enforcement. The State already has two camera vans on line issuing tickets 24/7 in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photos of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken. Pass this on! In the current economy, the state will be looking for your $$'s. And, if you ignore it, when your state takes your license because of the interstate compact, you will really regret it.

http://www.dot.state.il.us/safetyEng/FactSheet_032608.pdf

:usa::usa::usa:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those fines seem to be quite excessive, however, this seems to be limited specifically to "work zones on major freeways". It's impact depends on the precise legal "definition" of what constitutes such work zones, when the speed restrictions would be enforced (i.e., when these zones would be in actual use or regardless) and how such zones would be identified.

If these fines were only enforced in actual work zones while they were in operation with clear notice that you were entering such a zone (and the potential fines) ... I don't think it would cause me much concern. There is the argument that it would save the lives of workers.

My point is that if it were REASONABLY defined and enforced (is that possible of a public agency?), it does not appear terribly troubling. Heck, I'd just avoid those roads.

OppositeLock

VCA Member
Reaction score
Those fines seem to be quite excessive, however, this seems to be limited specifically to "work zones on major freeways"...Heck, I'd just avoid those roads.
The problem is ALL of the major interstates (and highways AND alternate routes) in Northern Illinois are under construction and cannot be avoided. There was a time that Illinois had the 45mph limit only when construction workers were present with the standard speed limit anytime else; but that went away to increase revenue...oops...over 'safety' concerns.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this country is doomed.

damn i hope they dont pull this crap in nj/ny
NYC already has this crap. It's called a $150 parking ticket. CA, NY and IL are doomed anyway. They are all totally bankrupt.

Here's an eyeopener. Did you know NYC Police Dept has more almost 40000 (not a typo) police officers (37K regular + 4K auxillary)? For a city with 8 million people, that's 0.5% cops. And the Fire Dept has almost 15000 employees. And with all the depts in NYC, you can bet that it employs anywhere from 2-5% of the population.

I also hear that NY state has increased it's income tax rate from 6.85% to 7.85%. That's fantastic recession stimulus. Give us 100 federal dollars and take 1000 state dollars. Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang