Is SSG worth all the BS?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might be a little premature, but I'm going to be looking for a Gen IV coupe over the winter. I've basically narrowed it down to Very Viper Orange or Snake Skin Green...both solid without stripes. I'm personally more into the SSG, but I'm getting negative feedback from many people I've spoke to about it. And while their opinion technically doesn't count, I certainly don't feel like arguing or defending a color every time some one talks about the car should I buy SSG.

To SSG owners, or anyone else with a story...should I be looking for something a little more "traditional"? What experiences have you had?

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think both look better in person than in pictures. For me VVO is the "perfect" orange and SSG is also very good. Both can change colors in different lighting and are unique. I'm sure not everyone will like the colors but not everyone likes the Viper either. I'd go with your gut.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I don't own a SSG Viper, I do own one of the seemingly most universally hated Viper colors (at least on this board) - Venom Red. I'm not sure why people don't like it, but I don't much care, because I think it looks great in person. Pictures don't seem to do it justice though...

SSG was actually on the top of my list, but I didn't see any that I wanted at the time, so I "settled" for my Venom Red coupe. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the colors out there, opinions be damned.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve M has the exact right attitude. I love SSG and wouldn't care what anybody else thought about it...although VVO is also sweet...seems like a win/win choice to me.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you cant go wrong with ssg. period, it helps itself,who would say its silly, has to be silly

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love every shade of GTS blue.

The choice is yours and you have to live with it. All colors on the Viper look great.

Bruce

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just happened to drive by a SSG Vert yesterday, and to see it moving, in the sun, was awesome. It's really going to come down to what I can find, for what price. We're only talking about 45 cars between both colors (solid coupes), so we'll see.

I've always been smitten with SSG, and yesterday just reinforced that.

NSviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SSG was actually on the top of my list, but I didn't see any that I wanted at the time, so I "settled" for my Venom Red coupe. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the colors out there, opinions be damned.

The top of my list was a Venom red ACR. But could not get one, so I settled for my next choice a SSG ;). All I can say is I am glad It worked out, the way it did. I think my next choice would have been toxic orange. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my SSG. Loved it before I bought it, still love it 3 years after, wouldn't change my decision on color. Very polarizing color to the public, most love it, some hate it (too loud), many people have discussed it with me before. I agree on getting solid SSG only, I think any black (stripes or centerband) takes away from the color and makes it look a different shade. SSG also changes colors in different lighting conditions. Just do it! :D

F

FrgMstr

I don't even like green and I bought a SSG Viper. Damn thing is beautiful and being so few painted that color is brings a uniqueness to an already rare care. And wow does it look good in the sunlight. It has sort of a color shifting effect due to the pearl.

You must be registered for see images

I flew to Minnesota and bought the car without seeing anything but pictures. This was the picture that sold me on SSG.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my SSG. Loved it before I bought it, still love it 3 years after, wouldn't change my decision on color. Very polarizing color to the public, most love it, some hate it (too loud), many people have discussed it with me before. I agree on getting solid SSG only, I think any black (stripes or centerband) takes away from the color and makes it look a different shade. SSG also changes colors in different lighting conditions. Just do it! :D

I think this speaks to what I've been experiencing discussing it with non-Viper folks

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a SSG owner I'm absolutely crazy over the color. I originally wanted a Viper Violet but I was buying used and there was too little of that color produced to make that car worth the hunt. SSG was my second choice and i'm glad I got it. Great story...I took the car in just this tuesday to get a pre-voi checkup and everyone in the service shop practically dropped what they were doing. The service writer came out from behind the desk and asked if he could take pictures for his son. The most common question I got while I was there..."Where did you get that painted?" or "Is that a factory color?" I even offered to show one guy the paint code on the door so he could look it up. You will love the attention the color gets. Everything I have ever experienced has been positive. So...I say start looking for the SSG....you will NOT be disappointed.

IMG_1122.jpg

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking for an SSG myself but ended up with bright blue. When that decision has come up in conversation, an overwhelming majority has said I made the right choice.
I still love SSG, but I have found there are other colors that get just as much attention. VVO is a **** color. If the right car came up for the right price I would keep your options open and jump at the right time.

Last edited:

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously: I never hear anything but praise for the SSG; perhaps that's just people being kind, but they sure seem sincere. I wasn't looking for the color when I was shopping, but once seen in person it was absolutely striking.

Rich

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never liked the SSG, I actually down right hated it. Then I seen another members SSG ACR coupe in person and it looked incredible. But that being said, the orange straight up gives me a *******. Looks so damn good, plus it seems like there is a lot less of them then there is SSG. The rarity in itself would be enough to push me the direction of the VVO, and with how much better it looks it would be a no brainer for my tastes.

Ultimately though you buy something because you like it. If you love the SSG then get it. Why would you worry about defending the color?? If somebody told me they didn't like the color of my car I would tell them I didn't like the look of their face but I was keeping it to myself, maybe they should think to do the same.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SSG is better for resale value in the Viper world. I have the luxury of having a place like Tomball Dodge nearby, and saw their showroom when it was filled with dozens of new Vipers. The SSG cars sold much quicker than the orange cars. In fact, the orange and venom red cars sat on the lot for a very long time, compared to the SSG cars.

I dig both colors, but SSG gets the slight edge.

LIViper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for a SSG vert as well with black wheels and black stripes.

Best color in my opinion!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the color itself, I love the SSG, it looks like a custom paint job IMO, I've seen two & it's amazing. That being said, I wouldn't own one just because I'm one of those guys who feels it's too loud for me, but not a fan of bright red for the same reason. I happen to like the venom red with silver stripes.

I thin the SSG with a black contast is amazing to look at; the ACR combo's or black stripes on the SSG, very very striking car. As for resale, someone like me wouldn't necessarily buy it but that IMO is a small minority of people, I think it would be a great resale due to unique factors & shear bling factor on how incredible the paint looks in person.

But sounds win/win, I've not seen a viper color I don't like (although if I did it would be yellow), but still OK to me.

Dave

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the purpose of this thread is to have others help guide you into making a popular color decision... just kill the thread now.
You'll never get a definitive answer!

What do you like?

Sounds your your test drive is already giving you the answer... good luck with the hunt and have fun! :2tu:
Mike

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day it is your car, so get the color that will make you happy. I am definitely not a fan of green in general, but I have to say that SSG looks great on the Gen 4 Viper and even though I don't like green I would definitely consider buying a SSG car.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, SSG is a great color but I think they look better w/black stripes. With aftermarket wheels, black centers and polished rims, they look unbelievable. VVO looks nice but it's a color that has a softer resale. Good luck on your search, Mike

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the purpose of this thread is to have others help guide you into making a popular color decision... just kill the thread now.
You'll never get a definitive answer!

What do you like?

Sounds your your test drive is already giving you the answer... good luck with the hunt and have fun! :2tu:
Mike

NO! I'm just looking for specific experiences from SSG owners. What are the general feelings towards the color, specifically non Viper owners? I love it, and will probably end up with it. Just in limited discussions with people, most people are giving me flack over it...nearly as much as a pink Viper would lol

Of course in the end it's my money and my decision, but I'm just seeing what other owners have gone through and if they regret it at all.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ryan -

I've seen SSG and VVO together at Snakes Alive, and bother are striking. However, I'm with one of the posters above - one of the least favorite colors, Venom Red, is one my my favs.

Of course, I'm also partial to black.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I see any of the gen IV colors the more I like all of them; bright blue comes to mind as a color I wouldn't have considered normally but is gorgeous in person. I think many of the 'critics' will feel the same about the color you end up with.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To a non-Viper owner, I think Orange will win out over any kind of green. But seems like SSG owners disagree. Hard to say. Some say its what 'you like', but come on, there is part of us that cares what others think, it is human nature. If I had the cash for a Gen IV, I prefer plain orange, no stripes. As for Anaconda green, there is an ACR for sale right now. That being said, not too thrilled with that color. Looks like it should be on a house, not a car. Just my opinion.