Is there a correct RTV for the valve cover oil baffle plates

Walter Clark

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent my valve covers off to be stripped and powder coated. When cleaning them up before shipping I saw each valve cover has what I will call an oil baffle or separator plate (see picture) ******* into the top of each cover, which somewhat isolates the PCV and oil fill ports from the splashing oil around the rocker arms. In my covers these appear to have been "sealed" along the edge of them to the valve cover itself with a bead of black RTV. Since the purpose of this was not likely to seal them up, I assume it was something of an afterthought, perhaps to eliminate some sort of annoying resonance or vibration.

Anyway, when I reassemble them, I plan to put back fresh RTV but there is no mentions of any of this in the service manual. So I am wondering if there was a specified RTV or would something like Preston Ultra Black RTV Gasket Maker work for me.

Attachments

• valve cover oil baffles.jpg
    valve cover oil baffles.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 16

snakeskin95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used ppg windshield urethane… toughest stuff i’ve come across- did my 1st set over 10ths ago and look the same as day one… just fid another set and i expect the same good results… run a bead, smooth with finger n let sit 24hrs…

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your baffles look like Gen 1 units, correct? Gen 2 covers were NOT sealed. They are precisely cut for a very close fit without sealant. I believe that any oil that manages to get drawn up top should have a reasonable path to return to the sump. I just juggled a combination of G1&2 valve covers on my GTS to improve oil liquid/vapor control at the track and did not seal them.

Attachments

• 20230622_204918.jpg
    20230622_204918.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4