Is there a "rule of thumb" to synching gen2 Throttle Bodies?

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a \"rule of thumb\" to synching gen2 Throttle Bodies?

I've got 70mm accufabs, but I'm guessing that the same rules apply. My passanger side is closed and my driver side is slightly open. I recently closed the driver side about a 1/2 turn and it did seem to make a difference, but I still get some erratic idle behavior. I'm curious to know if there's a trick to it (example: totally shut the open 1 full turn) or if it's just touch and go.

Thanks for reading,

~Matt~

Reaction score
Re: Is there a

Only GEN one's have the sync adjustment issues. The Gen II's will not go out of sync. And from memory one side is open a little when the other side is shut. Need to verify the set-up in a GEN II manual.

OP
OP
C

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Only GEN one's have the sync adjustment issues. The Gen II's will not go out of sync. And from memory one side is open a little when the other side is shut. Need to verify the set-up in a GEN II manual.

There are small adjustment screws on the bottom of each throttle body that changes the blade position. I've found that even a 1/4 turn wil affect the idle performance. I'm fairly confident that this is the problem. Gerald and a few others had the same issue. I guess I'll have to call my dealer and ask the tech.

Thanks

~Matt~

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I cannot say this is perfect, but it will get you in the very small neighborhood of where you need to be. If you take the adjustment screw on the passenger side and back it off all the way so that both sides are closed as far as they will go independently, then adjust it in just so it is touching the tab, you should have the t-bodies basically even. Then, with the smooth tubes off, put your thumbs in the t-bodies so you can feel the butter-flies and have someone barely touch the gas pedal for you. Adjust the screw until you feel the driver's side butter-fly move almost imperceptably before the passenger side and you should be darn close (this is based on idea the IAC port is on passenger side so having driver's side lead slightly will compensate for the idle air having to travel to a passage to the driver's side). That said, some folks say the only real way to do it properly is to run the number 4 diagnostic test with the DRB machine (but like every other Viper tech questions smart techs have told me this does not make sense - there never seems to be a clear answer in Viper-land). I sure hope Chuck Tator chimes in.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do not believe that an out of sync condition will create an idle problem. The idle is controlled by the PCM. If you run a scan tool it could give you some insight. If the throttles are out of sync you typically will experience a stumble at light throttle.