Is there a secret to getting GTS decorative gas cap off?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Particularly getting it over the rubber flange on the real filler neck? The decorative cap seemes to be held captive where you have to break the filler hose and pull the removed end through the decorative cap in order to get the cap off for re-polishing. Is there a secret I am missing where I don't have to turn removing the decorative cover into an all day PITA?

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed mine some years ago and there is not secret once you get the allen screws out. It may be that it is stuck to the filler hose like the water hoses do. I remember using some WD-40 and then rocking it back and forth to break it loose. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed mine some years ago and there is not secret once you get the allen screws out. It may be that it is stuck to the filler hose like the water hoses do. I remember using some WD-40 and then rocking it back and forth to break it loose. Hope that helps.
Mine is not like that at all. The decorative cap bolts to the car, then, the filler neck is slipped through it. The filler neck has a built-in rubber grommet the pads/seals the neck to the decorative cap and body. This grommet is just big enough so that the decorative cap will not fit over it, so even if the decorative cap is loose, it is held captive and will not come off.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pull it off and the rubber grommet will stay on the filler neck. I've done this one several times.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pull it off and the rubber grommet will stay on the filler neck. I've done this one several times.
Because the rubber grommet is flared out and so thin I was worried I would tear it so I did not try very hard to force the decorative cap over it (I though the idea might be that the grommet acts as a theft deterrent since it is so easy to unbolt the decorative cap). I'll give it another shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456