Is this normal for Corsa exhaust?

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything was stock until a few weeks ago. I then had Roe hi-flow cats, and the side sills cooled down a lot.

Just yesterday, I had the Corsa 3" catback system installed (I love the new sound, btw) and the side sill now seem to get hot again after drives. I didn't expect this.

Is this normal?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With any cats, they will still get warm just not as hot as the stock cats. I don't have cats installed at all and heat can still be felt. Got to remember that the exhaust is still right there.

S

SUN RA KAT

Add the Roe side sill insulation. Made a huge difference on my Viper in keeping the side sills cool enough to warm whatever touches them, not burn whatever touches them like before.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Roe high flo cats, wrapped in the side sill insulation with Corsa cat back. To be honest, the sills don't seem a whole lot cooler than they were with the stock cats, and it is still plenty warm in the cockpit. I was a little bit disappointed in that. But the sound is great and with the '98 lumpy cam it really rumbles. I just would not be expecting too much temp change after the high flo's.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy's issue is his side sill temp seems to have risen after installing the Corsa cat-back in place of his stock cat-back system. He had the Roe high flow cats in both exhaust arrangements. I would have been expecting a temp drop after removing the stock cat-back also...

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just guessing, but I beleive the stock exhaust is made out of aluminized steel and the corsa made out of stainless. In general aluminized steel dissapates heat better than stainless and this may be why it feels hotter.

I just put a Corsa on my GTS and love the sound keeping the stock cats in place. I had borla on it and the drone was unbearable. The heat from the sills seem to be about the same for both the Borla and the Corsa, no difference.

OP
OP
A

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just guessing, but I beleive the stock exhaust is made out of aluminized steel and the corsa made out of stainless. In general aluminized steel dissapates heat better than stainless and this may be why it feels hotter.

I just put a Corsa on my GTS and love the sound keeping the stock cats in place. I had borla on it and the drone was unbearable. The heat from the sills seem to be about the same for both the Borla and the Corsa, no difference.

That makes sense, and also I might guess another factor would be the larger pipes under the sill 2.5" vs 3".

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock is stainless steel, same as Corsa. Different grade (409) and thinner gauge though.

"409 is a titanium stabilised ferritic stainless steel. It forms a light protective rust layer in exhaust gas atmospheres and is readily weldable. Most applications involve engine exhaust systems such as automotive exhausts, catalytic converters and mufflers."

Corsa uses 304L stainless.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the corsa cat back before removing cats.The cat back system seems to have made it cooler than the stock system.Of course no comparison to no cats. GTS Bruce

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy, just installed Roe Racing Insulation this weekend. You are absolutely correct. The insulation combined with high flow cats solved my heat problems up front. But it still gets VERY hot in the middle area "were you would rest your leg while getting out". Its the corsas, they get HOT !!!!! Even going catless will not solve,,

Drmcar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Corsa with stock CATs and definitely cooler that stock exhaust. Stock headers still as well.