Is this normal?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is only 4 months old. The other night I stopped to get gas, I opened the filler door and removed the black protective piece of nylon? I noticed some red (iron) stain on it. I looked under the gas cap and voila! The two bolts that secure the gas cap and a small spacer are rusted. How disappointing. I am glad the cars body is made of fiberglass, other wise this car would rust apart. I have already had to recondition bolts and fasteners in the wheel wells.

I just have to know....Is this normal for RT/10's?
305IM000286-med.JPG
305IM000285-med.JPG

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of things rust in the east and high moisure area, it could be a normal for that part. When you replace the bolts make sure you get bolts that are coated that will prevent rusting. Not sure what it called but I am sure someone will point that out.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine never did that but any hardware that gets changed, gets stainless. Sears hardware has a HUGE selection.

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, just checked mine in the gargage. I will probably buy the SS ones now. Good idea. ;)

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to check again, but can you access the bolts from the inside of the trunk? My initial inclination was that you would have to remove the rear wheel, fender well just to be able to get to the nuts underneath.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow i had the SAME problem with mine its NOt good. DLM fixed it for me. there is a problem when they do that but i don't remember the exactly what. i would call Doug and ask him about it. 305 249-7223

Max

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those bolts are either phospated or black zinced. Probably phosphated as zinc often looks a bit green and more shiney.

This is due to a bad palting job by the hardware maker, and it's common.

When some of mine did that, I removed them, glassbeaded them, and then painted them with a satin black spraybomb. You could also wirewheel them I suppose.

In the end, I have fasteners that look original and will stay nice. I come from a restoration background and prefer to use the original hardware with captive washers, etc. not the generic replacements.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's your yellow mixing with the hardware and causing corrosion! Red, blue, or white cars don't do this :) .