Is this normal...

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on the very first guage out of the 4 (very top one) i always have a reading of 575 when crusing and only at red lights with the clutch pressed down does it fall to the 350 mark. (right on it even though it looks like its not because of the angle) Is this normal? Thanks in advance

You must be registered for see images attach

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that sounds normal. IN english units that is 80 psi and 50 psi. 70-80 psi while driving and 40-50 at hot idle is normal oil pressure.

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, your speedo goes to 340......

km/h :D (looks kinda cool though)

Yeah I like how the corvette's goes to 300 and you can switch between mph and km/h so 300 mph "can" be done well not really but you know what I mean...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More importantly you shouldn't be sitting at a red light with the clutch pressed in. You should slip the tranny into neutral.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very normal ............mine reads the same thing Ricky. Also I have to agree with Chuck get in the habit of dropping it out of clutch into neutral.

Patrick

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More importantly you shouldn't be sitting at a red light with the clutch pressed in. You should slip the tranny into neutral.

Doesn't that depend on how long? But the effect on idle oil pressure is zero as the idle speed is unaffected.

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Didn't know that...gotta change my habbit of keeping it in first with the clutch down then...why does this matter though? Aren't both just neutral? :confused: :confused:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't both just neutral? :confused: :confused:

No. When you disengage the clutch (press the pedal) you put pressure on the throwout bearing. The clutch mechanics are designed for brief use, a few seconds of engagement and disengagement at a time. By holding it at a stoplight you are tremendously increasing the amount of time the components are in use, building up heat and in turn obviously shortening their life span considerably.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aren't both just neutral? :confused: :confused:

No. When you disengage the clutch (press the pedal) you put pressure on the throwout bearing. The clutch mechanics are designed for brief use, a few seconds of engagement and disengagement at a time. By holding it at a stoplight you are tremendously increasing the amount of time the components are in use, building up heat and in turn obviously shortening their life span considerably.

I totally agree!! It's one of the first lessons I have taught my kids as they learn to drive sticks!

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck is 100% correct on that one! Not only is he right, he's also got more than 100K on his Viper ... So you should give him the benefit of the doubt!

Mike M

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery