Is this the most shine I'll get with clearcoated 5 spokes?

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Greetings to All. Just bought a real nice, clean set of 17" 5 spoke stock aluminum wheels I've been wanting for 2 years from another member. They are rash free and very clean with the caps. I excitedly tried some Mothers Aluminum polish on one of them and the rag didn't turn black as I polished so they must be clearcoated. I don't want to go through all the stripping processes I read about but I am wondering if there is a recommended clearcoat wheel polish that might give me any more shine. I know they won't look like the chrome 3 spokes I have on my car now but is there a trick for a real great shine other than tire dressing the tires jet black. Not into that. I've read all the threads from years ago on polishing aluminum wheels clear and raw but just wondering if there is any new technology I hadn't heard about out there yet.
Thanks for any suggestions. :usa:

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 model was - I'm pretty certain - powdercoated clear, so plastic polish heightened the shine. You do not want your rag to turn black (!) on coated wheels and I presume it would actually cloud the powdercoating.

Also used my random orbital, orange pad on them. Turned out nicely.

OP
OP
V

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Not real sure of the year but they're the "Star" wheels from a 96 to early 98 I believe. At least I've seen them on a few 98's. I'll just keep on polishing. Had a Mark V Lincoln with aluminum wheels on it and took some Mothers to them. When done you could have shaved off the reflection. They were raw aluminum and the multiple rags I used were black by the time I was done.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The earlier rims were cast, and very brittle. They're know for breaking, and some tracks won't let you use them. I have a 96 GTS and traded my rims for a set of forged (I believe on the 98 and up). They do turn the rag black when I polish them, and that's how I like it. I can get them to look like chrome, and they're easy to polish with a Mother's Power Ball and cordless drill. I ended up getting a chrome gas cap as well because the factory one couldn't be polished, and the chrome complemented the rims.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so you know V10...They came off a '97. I hope you get the shine you're looking for.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are clearcoated. Each year from 96 to 98 got a bit brighter. But I don't know if they spent more time polishing before coating or if they used a better clearcoat.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clearcoated wheels really need to be treated like the paint on the rest of the car. Use a mild paint polish, and wax of your choice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang