Is this the viper stanchion weatherstripping?

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I had an episode early last summer. I decided to take the viper on to a touchless carwash, which normally I wouldnt do but i wanted the underbody washed for the first time since i owned it. Shortly after doing the carwash, that platic piece that helps the window go up and down broke. I'm guessing it was a co-incidence, but the story gets worse. WHen I was fixing the window, I observed that the horizontal piece of weatherstripping on the sanchion was gone. I looked inside the door, thinking it may have fallen down when the window gave out, but it was not there. I also had them check the car-wash, with no success. I'm not sure what happened to it, but it just disappeared. Anyways, I went to apple auto glass or something like that and they gave me a piece of weatherstripping to make due until i found a better solution (buying a new sanchion from Dodge for $500 just to get the weatherstripping wasn't an option). Anyway, i rememberd i cleaned out the car when I first got the car and there were some misc pieces floating around. I just went and pulled the piece out of storage and I was wondering if by some miracle this is a piece of weatherstripping for the sanction. If so, some miracle happened and I am pumped.

You must be registered for see images

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, and I have fixed both with no problem. Most people seem to rip them off, I have no idea why because they are an easy fix.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, and I have fixed both with no problem. Most people seem to rip them off, I have no idea why because they are an easy fix.
The one i found in the trunk (the one in the picture) that is likely why the previous owner replaced it, but this is better than the generic piece of crap I had on there before. Where did you snag up your replacement sets? When I spoke to dodge i had to buy the whole sanchion. This one will do for the time being i guess, but it is not ideal. But I am not going to drop a boatload of coin on it either.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was going to use liquid nails on mine, but then I realized the "crack" where it had broken off would just bug me/stick out too much at car shows so I decided to replace the stanchion. Lots of people have glued theirs back on and are very happy with it, but how the joint tore off and will look is something to keep in mind if you're into that sorta thing.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes iam into that sort of thing, but also a hard pill to swallow for something like that. Hopefully i can snag up a better condition used one one day

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, i finally got the weatherstripping installed. I put together the door panel, and all the screws went in A-ok. But then i get to the handle part and the outer cover will not clip in. I push it to where it is suppose to click in and it either sits there until I use the handle and then pops off, or slides back to the position where you see in the picture (and then it is just sitting there ready to fall off) It is due to the cover behind it (when i take the rear cover off and put the outer cover on, it clips on fine) is there something I am doing wrong in these pictures....is the inner cover too tight or something that is making it prevent the outer cover from clicking in?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/20130303153807.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/20130303152755.jpg/

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
? If there's nothing in the way (and it doesnt look like there is) it should just slide into place. Make sure the hooks and "tabs" are in place and give it a little forceful slide back and snap it into place. To double check there's nothing wrong just try removing the cover from the opposite door and snap that one back into place. If you can get that one back then you know it's not user error and will need to start double checking fitment issues.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what I can see there is nothing in the way. I even took the panel off, and re-did it all. still with no success. It is extremely odd that it just won't click on. Like i said it is because of the panel tomorrow (that is held on by 3 screws), because without the inner piece, it clicks on fine.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did one of the little tabs break off the back of your cover? That happened to me and I had to buy a new one. It was ~$70 IIRC from VPA.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62