Jack B -- Front and center...

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the report.

1. No rain or vht..

2. I pulled the air cleaner and it set a cel. The onboard diagnostics showed one hard code, a P0068.

3. Put the air filter back and made three passes

4. The cel went off after the second run, but, the P0068 code would display when started.

5. I attached a scan tool at home and found two active codes. The original P0068 plus a "throttle forced power limit".

6. I removed the two codes, however, I was total by a good source that the code would stay in affect until removed by a srt Witech.

7. I have an appointment on wednesday to put the Witech on the car.

8. Bottom line, the trap speed was limited to 120.

Back to the track on Friday.

Maybe it rained ???

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the report, Jack. Takes a little time to get any new ride dialed in. We'll be looking for another report Saturday...

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is a "throttle forced power limit"? And now one is required to go to a dealer to get this cleared? Talk about Big Brother.....

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go get you a Porsche 911 Turbo S or 14 GTR and you can just push the gas and go 10s every time....None of that drama....
Good Luck on your challenge to get the Gen 5 in the 10s...

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's disappointing, sorry you had the bugs to deal with. Hopefully all goes better next time.

Are the codes just from playing with pulling the filter and then the car was screwed for the night? Or is there something else going on?

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go get you a Porsche 911 Turbo S or 14 GTR and you can just push the gas and go 10s every time....None of that drama....
Good Luck on your challenge to get the Gen 5 in the 10s...

Anyone can drive an AWD car in a straight line, even a freshly licensed 16 year old. That doesn't impress anyone.

I hate to break it to you, but I passed every Porsche that was at Thunderhill a couple of weeks ago, first in the intermediate and then the advanced group. Perhaps Porsche has become complacent and didn't realize that the Americans had surpassed them in building road course kings. Corvettes and Vipers rule the road courses. No longer the Porsches.

Oh, and that was in my $36k Camaro, showroom stock and with stock Goodyear F1s. I didn't need my Viper to accomplish that.

Hopefully we will meet up on a track with corners one day so you can show me how good your German supercar is. Bring your Porsche and we will have some fun. Since you have a turbo, I'll bring the Viper. Bone stock Vs. bone stock. I don't have very much experience, you ought to be able to take me with all of that superior technology that you have. Steak dinner is on me if you can turn a faster lap. If you lose, you don't owe me a thing.

Don't get me wrong, I like Porsches. But you've been talking so much smack that you need a reality check.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone can drive an AWD car in a straight line, even a freshly licensed 16 year old. That doesn't impress anyone.

I hate to break it to you, but I passed every Porsche that was at Thunderhill a couple of weeks ago, first in the intermediate and then the advanced group. Perhaps Porsche has become complacent and didn't realize that the Americans had surpassed them in building road course kings. Corvettes and Vipers rule the road courses. No longer the Porsches.

Oh, and that was in my $36k Camaro, showroom stock and with stock Goodyear F1s. I didn't need my Viper to accomplish that.

Hopefully we will meet up on a track with corners one day so you can show me how good your German supercar is. Bring your Porsche and we will have some fun. Since you have a turbo, I'll bring the Viper. Bone stock Vs. bone stock. I don't have very much experience, you ought to be able to take me with all of that superior technology that you have. Steak dinner is on me if you can turn a faster lap. If you lose, you don't owe me a thing.

Don't get me wrong, I like Porsches. But you've been talking so much smack that you need a reality check.
polite finish him :D

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The air filter was the problem. I have a turbo solstice that does the thing. The car seemed to run fine after I removed the codes. My dealer visit is a check because of a a comment from a good source about the witech.

That's disappointing, sorry you had the bugs to deal with. Hopefully all goes better next time.

Are the codes just from playing with pulling the filter and then the car was screwed for the night? Or is there something else going on?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my local Gen V owning pals also tried swapping in a K&N filter from a Gen 4 car (it is a direct fit) and that messed up the idle quality and the car would die when idling. Put the factory filter back in and the problem was solved. These cars seem picky about filters.

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Jack, don't mean to be dense but I want to make sure I understand this. The manual says that the launch control can be used in any ESC mode. When you said, "You have to use launch control or shut off ESC. Those are the only ways to launch.", did you mean that either you use Launch Control and that is only with one of the 3 different ESC modes selected, or you don't use ESC or Launch Control at all and launch it the the old fashioned way modulating the gas and clutch with or w/o Traction Control like we do in our Gen II's (Gen II sans the TCS of course)?

Also, what ESC mode do you use and what launch RPM does that allow?

Last edited:

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From reading JackB's signature, he has an SRT model not the GTS. The SRT has ESC on or off mode, the GTS has more modes to select.

Sorry Jack, don't mean to be dense but I want to make sure I understand this. The manual says that the launch control can be used in any ESC mode. When you said, "You have to use launch control or shut off ESC. Those are the only ways to launch.", did you mean that either you use Launch Control and that is only with one of the 3 different ESC modes selected, or you don't use ESC or Launch Control at all and launch it the the old fashioned way modulating the gas and clutch with or w/o Traction Control like we do in our Gen II's (Gen II sans the TCS of course)?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does not matter if it is a SRT or GTS, at the dragstrip you only have two options (that work), either turn off ESC totally or use the "Launch" mode. The three ESC modes in the GTS more relate to a road course or autocross and the car's lateral slip on a corner.

The launch mode is not for the timid, you hit the launch button (wheels straight/clutch in) and you have to hit the throttle to the floor within one second. The manual says 1/2 second. The pcm holds the rpms at approx 5200 and when you release the clutch the pcm modulates the throttle to limit wheel slip. When you apply the clutch to shift it leave the launch mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jack, I understand. I bracket raced a couple of door slammers in the 90's and early 00's but they were pretty straight forward with a power glide, transbrake, two step, and delay box. Quite a bit different than having to launch a stick shift. I have slicks and skinnies for the '99 Viper and have grudge raced it several times but not enough to get consistent on the launch. Have you made enough passes to tell what ESC mode is best for using the launch mode?

It does not matter if it is a SRT or GTS, at the dragstrip you only have two options (that work), either turn off ESC totally or use the "Launch" mode. The three ESC modes in the GTS more relate to a road course or autocross and the car's lateral slip on a corner.

The launch mode is not for the timid, you hit the launch button (wheels straight/clutch in) and you have to hit the throttle to the floor within one second. The manual says 1/2 second. The pcm holds the rpms at approx 5200 and when you release the clutch the pcm modulates the throttle to limit wheel slip. When you apply the clutch to shift it leave the launch mode.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for that detail, interesting. So it always uses 5200, like it's preprogrammed in?

It's interesting the differences in LC's. My GT500, you go in before hand and set the launch RPM with the steering wheel dial & dash display & save it, moves in 100 rpm increments & saves your last enrty, when you start the car, put it in Sport mode, stage and hit Launch, then it's the same, clutch, throttle clutch, hang-on for dear life. Using LC on it yielded my best ET. I konw you got *****'d last time out, intersting to see if using LC or your own foot will yeild best times.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have fast did the Stang go ???

Using LC best was 11.63@124

Without LC best was in the 11.9X@122

MPH was consistent no matter in the 122-123 range, slow was a 119 but it broke loose in 3rd bad so it was my fault.

The little 285s are a real challenge, if you really heat them up they get a lot better versus greasy, but it's so little tire for the power. Best I've seen 100% stock was a guy pulling an 11.61, an 11.6-11.7 is what the mags get too so I think that's really the limit. Motorweek got an 11.6 flat at the same track I go to, which is at sea level, so it doesn't get any better than that IMO, although there might some of these real experts out there that could do better but that's a fluke. I played around without LC and was bouncing around up to 12.2. I've been dragging stangs since 1987, but this one has a very different clutch feel and takes some getting use to, so the LC really helps. Feathering the clutch in 1st is just super hard.

That was it for me, to get a baseline, I now have a Borla S on there and will mod a bit more so stock runs are over. I'm mostly a road course guy these days, I really just go to a strip nowadays for a fun ET hunt sort of thing once & a while or if there's a track rental event.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom 5,I would for sure go around the track for time with ya in my Turbo S.I know the Snakes are Bad Ass going around a track, having three Vipers.I was talking about drag racing.But, since you are in California and I am in Palm Beach Florida, probity not going to happen. All in fun...

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom 5,I would for sure go around the track for time with ya in my Turbo S.I know the Snakes are Bad Ass going around a track, having three Vipers.I was talking about drag racing.But, since you are in California and I am in Palm Beach Florida, probity not going to happen. All in fun...

Yea I find so many guys on line that are doing trackdays in the exact way I am, etc., here and other forums, even with the bikes. But everyone is all over the country. I swear I'm always alone at trackdays. I mean you meet nice folks there and talk, share some shade etc., but wish the world was smaller or the tracks were larger .. it'd be great to get out & burn thru some tires up together.