Jet Fuel Question

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was at the small airport in the county today test flying on a demo flight and noticed they had 100 octane low lead (100 ll) at 3.60 a gallon. I'm wondering what harm, if any, I would do to a stock 94 RT/10 if I mixed 50/50 or ran a full tank through it? :dunno:I also asked the guy if I could run the car down the runway but he said they didn't allow that. 5000 foot runway and I would have loved to run. :drive:He said the cops come out there to test their Radar units on the planes.
Any fuel thoughts or comments before I burn anything up. :usa:
Thanks.

"I want to win Qualitywires.com!"

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why bother? The car wants good ol' pump gas :dunno:

(I'd love to take a drive down the runway too...)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jet fuel is like kerosene. 100 LL is gasoline. It is called low lead because there is or was a 130 octane aviation gasoline that had even more.

"Low lead" in aviation gasoline is very high lead level for auto use. 100 LL is 2 grams per gallon TEL (tetraethyl lead) and the last leaded gasoline legally sold at retail gas stations was 0.1 gms/gal.

Your '94 cannot take advantage of the higher octane because there is no knock sensor. Also, aviation gasolines are blended to ensure that it doesn't boil at high ambient temperatures on the ground nor boil at low ambient atmospheric pressures up in the air. So the starting and driveability performance might be worse.

In addition, you risk coating your catalytic converters with phosphorus and failing a tailpipe test, if your local state inspection requires one. Since you are OBD-I, there is no downstream O2 sensor and a plug into the OBD port would not detect anything.

Avgas costs more mostly because of the quality audit trail it must keep in case anything falls out of the sky. TEL by itself is not expensive, although the special volatility and blending small batches of gasoline could be factors.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to run it years ago in my Camaro. I ran it at about 50/50, worked wonders on a roots blown engine.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Kero jetfuel in my turbine generators at the job .. high quality/low water content fuel.... It also works good in my garage K1 heater...haha.. (I take it from the turbine purge tanks.. for those who know gas turbine engines) ..

My '94 runs 93 octane gasoline from the place I found when I needed gas!

OP
OP
V

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My questions have been answered. No pain...no gain. I'll just keep the good ole 93 octane in it. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang