JM Cylinder Heads STRIKER Head

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i couldn't care less about trap speeds or a 1/4 mile race. so a dyno is a good judge of basic power.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because the dyno is easy to quantify. If you asked a poor driver how much faster his car was post-mods, it wouldn't be an accurate representation of the benefit of the mod itself. Same driver can haver a better trap speed with a better launch with practice and no mods.
Besides, who cares about quarter mile times when you're driving a car that can corner?:dunno:
Driver ability ,traction is ET.Trap speed is TRUE horsepower.A tuner or parts manu can CLAIM OR MANIPULATE ANY DYNO number as there is absolutely no way a customer can verify with reference towards a trap speed there is absolutely no way to manipulate .Two NA cars can go to the same dyno on the same day (with one car making 35 horsepower more to the tire than another)then go race and be driven by the same driver and the car making the 35 horsepower less win easily ET and trap speed wise.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gives a flying **** about drag racing (the miniature golf of motorsports)? When I was a teenager, "trap speed" was a term we used in reference to how long it took us to get laid.

To get 600 rwhp with a GTS, one would need a ported intake, Stryker heads (or Greg Good ported heads), a good set of headers, free flowing exhaust and maybe larger throttle bodies.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gives a flying **** about drag racing (the miniature golf of motorsports)? When I was a teenager, "trap speed" was a term we used in reference to how long it took us to get laid.

To get 600 rwhp with a GTS, one would need a ported intake, Stryker heads (or Greg Good ported heads), a good set of headers, free flowing exhaust and maybe larger throttle bodies.
I always thought one of the great things about owning a Viper was to actually race it on a DRAG STRIP and not on a dyno.PS MANY people do car about drag racing as it is one the the primary criteria involved in the selection of a high perf car .No road test ever is conducted without quarter mile perf involved -why.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No need for TBs. Im making 600rwhp with just the stage 3 ported Jm (non stryker) heads, cam, and most importantly. Milling the heads to bump up the compression. Thats also the big reason why FastMatt made so much power with his setup..

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I do not understand is if paxtonized Gen IIIs run 600 rwhp on stock bottom ends, why would you need to build the bottom end to make 600 rwhp. Surely higher boost normally aspirated is easier on the engine that boost?

I was wondering the same thing. People run 600-650rwhp and some 700rwhp (SRT) with a paxton and stock bottom end.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wonder the percentage of viper owners that actually DO it though. i bet pretty low
YOU ARE CORRECT- a very very small percentage .People want to believe that they are paying x amount (for a package or part )and x amount is supported by the dyno sheet on that package or part It is much easyier for them to believe a dyno sheet and transpose that dyno sheet to what a car SHOULD RUN AT THE TRACK. .Dont get me wrong dynos are great measuring tools but what is printed on some dyno sheet does not always reflect what actually happens in the real world at the track .There was a certain tuner from Texas whose was noterious for the above .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be specific and i hope Viper Joe S from NJ Vca does not mind .Nick at Modern did both our Gen 2s .My Gen 2 had had a top and bottom end done -large cam in comparasion to Viper Joes who only had a top end with a smaller cam .We both dynoed the same day on Bob Idas Dyno Jet/.Joe made over 35 horsepower more (corrected to correct )than i did .The entire time BOB IDA (who knows a thing or two about cars )kept pointing out the finite dyno numbers OFTEN mean nothing at the track as you can not benchrace numbers from a rear wheel chasis dyno .The next week we went to E-Town and had Evan Smith drive both cars .My car with the 35 horsepower LESS to the tire ran 11.2 at 130 Joe S car ran 11.6 at 126 ..Not even close in perf YET the dyno said differently.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wonder what the power under the curve was though. id bet yours had more of it.
Yes it was broader my point is alot of times when someone is SELLING a specific part the buyer gets taken in by a CLAIMED DYNO SHEET NUMBER this happened to me with headers .I ran Edelbrooks and the car ran 11.2 at near 132 in good air on pump gas with stock tires with them .One winter i had to have more ,the goal being a 10 second run on Pilots (remember this was back in 1997 well before forced induction came into play .If you had a 10 second street car that was saying something)Anyhow this header manu talks me into buying his brand CLAIMING an EASY 35 horsepower (dyno sheets and all )over the Edelbrooks. Two grand later AGAINST my engine builders advice (thought it was total BS as no header on a NA car is worth that kind of power over another ) on the Viper they went .The car trapped slower than it did with the Edelbrocks.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes it was broader my point is alot of times when someone is SELLING a specific part the buyer gets taken in by a CLAIMED DYNO SHEET NUMBER this happened to me with headers .I ran Edelbrooks and the car ran 11.2 at near 132 in good air on pump gas with stock tires with them .One winter i had to have more ,the goal being a 10 second run on Pilots (remember this was back in 1997 well before forced induction came into play .If you had a 10 second street car that was saying something)Anyhow this header manu talks me into buying his brand CLAIMING an EASY 35 horsepower (dyno sheets and all )over the Edelbrooks. Two grand later AGAINST my engine builders advice (thought it was total BS as no header on a NA car is worth that kind of power over another ) on the Viper they went .The car trapped slower than it did with the Edelbrocks.

Just imagine how much faster, and more powerful your Viper would of been with "todays tune". Its too bad you got rid of it eons ago..

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:lmao::lmao::lmao::2tu:

If I wanted to drag race I'd buy a Mustang. Cheap to make fast in a straight line, not much good for anything else.

On a serious note, did anyone mention why you need to build the bottom end for a 100 horsepower gain NA, when you don't for a 150 gain with a blower? Especially when you tack on the heat generated and HP lost turning the blower?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just imagine how much faster, and more powerful your Viper would of been with "todays tune". Its too bad you got rid of it eons ago..
Your right as those runs were conducted in the days before anyone had the ability to tune air fuel ratios(such a big cam that car was on the edge streetability wise as it loaded up on idle )Technology, my stock 08 was just as fast as my Gen 2 ever was but never had the character of the older car.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao::lmao::lmao::2tu:

If I wanted to drag race I'd buy a Mustang. Cheap to make fast in a straight line, not much good for anything else.

On a serious note, did anyone mention why you need to build the bottom end for a 100 horsepower gain NA, when you don't for a 150 gain with a blower? Especially when you tack on the heat generated and HP lost turning the blower?
By blueprinting the motor and building the bottom end it frees up horsepower one going NA could never achieve doing only the top end of an engine .Since we are talking NA every little bit helps the problem of course is cost .Very few people today do strokers (different crank ect )because the power benefit comes no where near the cost .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang