Judging demand: RT/10 owners please read

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals.

This is just an informal "gage" to see what kind of demand there is going to be for the new soft tops.
Final structure design is complete, and the structure itself weighs in at approx 4lbs with rear steel latches and machined front aluminum. This number will grow when the fabric is attached and weatherstripping is put on, but it should be WELL below the current weight of the Mopar soft top. It's quad-fold construction puts it at roughly half the size of a collapsed Mopar top when in "storage". The structure goes on my car from closed --> opened --> latched in about 20 seconds. Top also sits much more "flush" with the body lines of the RT's (not as much of a "tupaee" look). 5 colors will be available at launch

If you would be interested in such a product, please respond with a "yea or nay". If it's a nay, please state why the product does not interest you and if there is any addition that would.

Also, the following products are in development by myself and a few others in the automotive field, just as a heads up..

Metal intake tubes
Anodized "hard pipe" cooling pipe kit
Collapsible/Foldable hard top (still in CAD phase..sorry
frown.gif
)
New windows
New header and exhaust maker, from "mild to wild" config
Composite valve covers
Aluminum "race" welded valve covers (anodized and bare)
3 way adjustable front "splitter" (need a coupe donated for testing
smile.gif
)

About a million other things scribbled on paper and such
wink.gif
wink.gif

James
**New business name coming soon
smile.gif

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is a fully framed top, that is meant to be a replacement for your current factory top. This uses the same mounting hardware as the current tops, and I will be doing high-speed tests very soon. I am also going to give out 3 tops to local VCA members for extended wear testing.

This top will be 100% self contained, use 50% less space, when collapsed, and weigh 80% less than the current top when assembled.

It's self-opening design will mean 1-man (or woman) construction is a snap (literally.. you will see) and it takes me roughly 20 seconds to put the top on and off by myself.

As with the dodge soft top, this product is not designed for extreme high speeds or any type of rollover protection. It is however, going to be a truly awesome product that the viper community has needed since day one!!

of course, test data will not be released until I am satisfied that the top is sound, and will provide the best in both protection from the elements and ease of use.

James

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Extremely interested...but I don't want to put ANYTHING together (except maybe the first time)...just want to flip (might not be the best word) it open...

What COLORS are going to be offered in the valve covers? Viper colors?

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The top will arrive to your door fully assembled, in it's own carring "bag" of sorts. Take it out, latch the back.. pull forward, latch the front. Your done
smile.gif

As for the valve covers, I have a set of blue anadized demo that looks very good, almost an electric blue. Other colors offered will be red, black, silverish (a dull finish compared to the polished covers), yellow and blue. I suppose weird combos can be made... purple, green, etc. They can do some truely amazing thigs at this place. He also does chrome plating, so perhaps that would be an option?
As for script, I have them bare faced as of right now. I'm sure they can be engraved before assembled in viper script..but I have to find out what legal issues are included with the use of Chrysler logos. When they go into production, they will be coupled by an OEM package of MP valve cover gaskets. No modifications will be needed for installation. Since the 1.7 rockers don't seem to hit the stock covers, the new covers are in stock dimentions.

As for pricing of the product, that is yet to be finalized.. but I can assure you, it will be considerably less than a replacement soft top!!! I am a car guy above all, so i'm trying to bring the best products at the best possible prices to all VCA and non VCA members alike
smile.gif

if anyone wants to ask me questions verbaly, feel free to call me @ 864-967-2557... but I won't give out many "secrets"
wink.gif
wink.gif

James

Y2KACR

VCA Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give you a very definite "maybe." I think I am interested but I will need to see/play with it and know the price. But, if it is an improvement over the "toupee" in use, price or storage I'd probably get it.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT size="5">Yea!</FONT s> (<FONT size="1">(MM-What increase in HP can we all expect
laugh.gif
)</FONT s>

BTW- What is the comparitive cost of the stock soft top?

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disasemble easy? Unlatch 2 in the front, pull backwards, unlatch the back two, fold in half and put it back in the bag.

It's 100% self contained... you don't have to do ANYTHING but latch it to the back, pull it foward untill it "locks", then set it down into the front openings, swing the pretty aluminum handles outward and your done. No fuss, no muss.. no sitting on the ground while it's raining playing mopar-oragami. It will also take up half the space width-wise as the stock softop

I belive a new top from dodge is 1,200$ MSRP, i'm hopeing to price it 400$ below that atleast.

Good for atleast 10hp when coupled with my custom stickers
laugh.gif

But seriously, i'm working as fast as I can (I actualy have a day job, but not for long) and hope to have a production ready top available to the public by early october.

James

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer to the lightweight question, I won't go into too much detail...but the materials used are very light, but do not compromise rigidity of the top in any way. There is extra reinforcement in the center, as well as the side. These reinforcements, however, are of very light weight due to the size and configuration.

This top is as strong, if not stronger than the current Mopar top. Once the top is "locked", force/stress is distributed equally. Think of it in terms of when the H-beam steel was invented.. it was lighter, stronger, and made the skyscrapers possible. Using brute strength of heavy materials is efficient for some things, but due to modern technology and the wide variety of materials available, we can do so much more without compromising anything.

You will not be able to bend or distort the top from it's original shape once it has been locked into position.

That's pretty much all I will say at this point
smile.gif

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure this will be a great product, it is definately a great idea, but for me I have to give thumbs down. I don't have a top on my car much at all during the 4-6 warm months. the hard top is on for the remaining 6 months. Whenever I go somewhere, I keep the material cover with the viper logo on it....that pulls over the windsheild & velcro's on. That is real quick to put on and off. If I'm doing any very long trips, I use the hard top purposely so speed is not a concern.

But good luck........

Here is something I'd like to see.......

Mats that hold in place a little better than the Mopar matts but don't cost $300.

Andrew

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMaxx:
I am also going to give out 3 tops to local VCA members for extended wear testing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I look forward to testing it
wink.gif
Hope to see you up at VIR this weekend for ViperDays!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MadMaxx:

I hope you realize that there are at least 3 or 4 iterations of the front latch mechanism on the RTs. You think the '96 is a ba$**** car? Just wait. You might want to call Autoform, HMS, Northwind, etc. and get a little advance info before going public with your top.

I truly commmend you for trying to do something better than the factory top - sheez, what a joke that is...

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The top is still pretty far out from public, but i'll get it right for every car.

As far as non soft-top driving, I understand where you are comming from. However, many people don't use the soft top because of the fear of getting trapped in a storm. So most use a hard top, or risk short trips with the cocpit cover (i'm re-releasing those BTW, have the paterns made from the stock version and the seamstress is doing a test for me now).

With this top, you could go on a long trip with the sun on your face and the wind in your hair. Weather turns bad? take a minute to slap the new top on and your sheilded from the elements.

For those who still want the hard top, but want more functionality from it, I have a collapsable (you heard right!) hard top that will fit in a stock RT/10 trunk WITH the spare intact! This is still in the CAD design phase, but the idea is loosely based on the new ST design.

You can expect good things from me, as I listen to the heartbeat of the VCA and respond!

MM

rae661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love a new top that works better and actually looks good!! I just got my baby back from the dealer and asked them to replace the original soft top because of wear. They said Yes to my amazement!! So even with a top on order get the unit out there and let me see it working and if all is better--lets rock!! Sign me up!!

Bob

'98VFR800
'99 F150
"00 Navigator
'01 RT/10 Sapphire Blue....

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the damm thing doesn't leak like my hard top and soft top I will be all over it. But it can't leak at all for me to buy it! Tired of getting wet in suprise showers
pissed.gif
pissed.gif
pissed.gif

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will it accommodate the different configurations of latch mechanism at the windhsield header? I know the front latch on my '94 is quite different from other years. When I purchased my hardtop from Bruce Venable he assured me that the mechanism was adjustable according to the model, and indeed it was.

What type of material will be used for the actual top: vinyl?

Great idea. Only wish I were smart enough to have engendered it!

Don Hiltz

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm working on enlisting carolinas VCA members to take measurments of other year cars. The latch should be the only difference.

As for water tight.. trust me, as an RT owner, this was a big priority! Sucker should seal up like a drum when i'm done.

MM

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMaxx:
Sucker should seal up like a drum when i'm done.

MM

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just go a headache picturing my 2 year old pounding on the roof with me in the car.
laugh.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth Geyer