Just a few horsepower ?'s

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so as of right now my gen III is bone stock. I was hoping to gain like an extra 70 horsepower in the next year or two. So basically i guess im looking for ideas on bolt ons. Im going to get an exhaust soon. Either the mopar street exhaust or the race exhaust. Anyone know how much power you get from each. And does anyone know if there are any other cold air intakes other than the K&N. And are cold air intakes really worth it. Im on a budget and im open to any good ideas. I will probally do a ecu flash at some point in time. Help me out guys whats the best power adders for a good price. Thanks :think:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
exhaust with cat removal might gain you 10-15 hp

filter and tubes if you are lucky 8-9 hp

computer flash or new ecu mite gain you another 10-15

IMHO all the above may net you a total of 25-30 max hp i am sure others will chime in soon

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked a similar question a little while ago. Check out this thread for some good info. It was a gen II but i'm sure same mods would apply. http://forums.viperclub.org/performance-modifications/628666-looking-600-h-p.html#post2743559

Ok so as of right now my gen III is bone stock. I was hoping to gain like an extra 70 horsepower in the next year or two. So basically i guess im looking for ideas on bolt ons. Im going to get an exhaust soon. Either the mopar street exhaust or the race exhaust. Anyone know how much power you get from each. And does anyone know if there are any other cold air intakes other than the K&N. And are cold air intakes really worth it. Im on a budget and im open to any good ideas. I will probally do a ecu flash at some point in time. Help me out guys whats the best power adders for a good price. Thanks :think:

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on my viper truck i went with the mopar cam shaft mopar headers mopar exhaust and mopar computer huge difference in power and sounds great. also it wasnt really that expensive. i suggest doing that

Reaction score
Yes on the above products and to get the full 70hp you will need better heads also. You could add a S/C and get more than double that though, that is why the Gen3 cars we had through here (140+ of them) Got a Paxton installed either brand new or shortly after.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have some money left and not

GOOD TIRES

and/or

no DRIVING SCHOOL experience...I would recommend that, before

you ADD power. :D

My 2 $ or Euros or what you like :eater:

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton.

The other mods you mention (exhaust etc.) will not provide enough of a difference in power for you to even feel it.

BJG32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it is true or not, but I hear removing the rain deflector from the scoop adds around 10hp.

Not a bolt on, but rather a bolt off! :)

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it is true or not, but I hear removing the rain deflector from the scoop adds around 10hp.

Not a bolt on, but rather a bolt off! :)

Removing the deflector caused my car to throw a CELL at WOT,even with the Mopar Controller. Since I put it back, no more Check engine light. It happened to others also, but not everyone.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the rain guard shud b left on....most of the air to intake is coming throught the grill opening anyway. Its not worth the chance of water getting into the engine. Only a very small percentage of the air comes in through the hood scoop anyway, not worth messing up very expensive engine

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone care to explain how the "rain" guard/deflector/baffle does anything to eliminate "the chance of water from getting into the engine"? It not like it has a moisture detector and closes when water is present.

Ron

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the guard makes the water drip into bottom of the area before the intake and there is a drain hole in the bottom that is will run into. if the guard is gone the rain will have the chance with it's momentum to enter intake directly. If it wasnt needed i am pretty sure the SRT guys would not have put it there and not put a drain hole below it. and if you look where the intake air comes from and how it is channeled from grill opening and underhood the bulk of the air is coming thru the grill opening.

Last edited:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all my modding I would recommend a good tune from DC Performance on your PCM and get the 02 sensors turned off and skip shift eliminated. Then take the saved money and get performance driving lessons (track that beast!!). I have found that adding power only makes you push the limits more and you have got to know what your doing and what your limits are. I think this was mentioned above but just adding to the advice:2tu:

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks for all the great responses. I have so much to consider. I really like the tune and track ideas. Ill look into it. Thanks :)

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an '06 and installed the catless Mopar race exhaust,Pcm and air filters. Mine had a definite seat of the pants improvement.Mopar says with cam and previously mentioned mods it is worth 44 hp. Cam is good for 6-8 hp so I would say its good for 35 hp. Plus it sounds a lot better to me.:2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery