just a goofy thought about granny aids on Vipers...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's mind-boggling. It would be rather interesting, if not sad, if vehicle fatalities go up when nannies are mandated.

I'm betting if the NHTSA classified passenger cars into more accurate groups instead of lumping SUVs, vans, pickups, sedans, economy and sports cars all into one group some of the pro-nanny folks would see some interesting numbers.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All cars are mandated to have ESC by 2012.

Why would you think additional controls would add additional weight? Most everything runs off the same wheel sensors that ABS gets its info from. C5 and C6 Z06's weigh less than any Viper ever did, even with its "nanny controls." More glaringly, you might ask why a car the price of a Viper doesn't have all available technology.

Of course. But Dodge puts as little money into it as possible; so many items under the hood for example breaking or just falling off.. Incredible.

Way too many Vipers on the street spinning out after hitting just a little water etc. Stability control could've saved many cars. No one plans an accident.

It's all good.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All cars are mandated to have ESC by 2012.

Why would you think additional controls would add additional weight? Most everything runs off the same wheel sensors that ABS gets its info from. C5 and C6 Z06's weigh less than any Viper ever did, even with its "nanny controls." More glaringly, you might ask why a car the price of a Viper doesn't have all available technology.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought a 2000 Rt/10 specifically because it is the last year without ABS so I don't have to deal with any of that wheel sensor nonsense and extra weight either. I will eventually buy a second Viper but never plan on selling the 2000.

My truck at work just had a problem the other day. The check engine light went on and I lost gas pedal control on a side street thankfully. The engine still idled but I could not move for at least half a minute. My truck has throttle by wire. Then all of a sudden the problem went away and I finished the day. The fleet mechanic that night replaced the gas pedal assembly. I have also had the ABS fail on my truck in the winter because of a broken sensor. How many of us have had trouble with a simple car alarm or get a check engine light because the gas cap wasn't on tight. Anybody that wants more of this tech crap on their cars is just asking for it because it all does fail sooner or later. All wires corrode and especially do in areas that salt roads for winter.

You may think it is tough finding a simple rotor for an old muscle car today so imagine looking for an ABS sensor for a Viper 20 years from now. Imagine having to get and intstall a new wiring harness to restore a 2008 Ferrari 50 years from now? Let's leave that to the next generation. :lmao:

Last edited:

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may think it is tough finding a simple rotor for an old muscle car today so imagine looking for an ABS sensor for a Viper 20 years from now. Imagine having to get and intstall a new wiring harness to restore a 2008 Ferrari 50 years from now? Let's leave that to the next generation. :lmao:

That one's simple - you won't need the wiring harness, since the car will be sitting in a museum just being looked at, when all the gas in the world has run out.