Just changed plugs - now I have another question...

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I just finished changing my plugs and wires; thanks again to Chuck Tator for the quick delivery and great price on the new wires! I put in Champion 412s and OEM wires. The good news: it took me less than an hour and a half from start to finish, my first time! I was worried it would take much longer. The bad news: when I took out the #10 cylinder plug, it had a lot of rust on it. None on the conductor itself, and very little on the threads, but a good bit on the nut portion, all the way up to the ceramic. Anybody else seen this? Should I be worried?

Matt

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change mine quite often and have never seen this. Obviously moisture got there somehow. Hope your not spraying the motor to detail. I always use the boot protectant lubricant and coat the plug to prevent moisture, boot sticking and arcing.

OP
OP
I

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a 2000,and I don't spray the motor to clean it...I've only had it a month or so now, and I haven't had a chance to detail the engine compartment yet. Hopefully it was a one-time thing, but I will keep my eye on it.

Matt

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i had the same problem on my 98 when i changed my plugs recently, i think its just moisture that settles up in there, have you ever driven it in the rain?

OP
OP
I

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't...if it too nasty out to drive with the top off, I drive a different car. But the last owner probably did; hopefully the next time I change plugs I won't see it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine