Just got new Viper coupe and have question

weightlifter123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Picked up my 08 Viper Red Viper Coupe with black stripes from Woodhouse last Friday.
Would post pics but I don't think a new member can do that. I have had a lot of sport cars and muscle cars
over the years. Corvettes, Z06, Z28, SS, Cobras, Trans Ams etc.
Always wanted a Viper but never could afford to get one. And when
I did have the money the dealers wanted over sticker (way over sticker 10-15K).
That was in both 2002 and 2006 and again in 2008.
So I found this forum last Summer and found out about Bill
Pemberton at Woodhouse in NE. Ordered the car in September and
finally got it. Exactly as promised for sticker. I am very happy
with the car. Thanks Bill! Still getting used to driving it. The clutch and
shifter work a lot different than the daily driver 98 Mustang (200K
miles and still going). Have a question about blipping the
throttle on downshifts. The engine doesn't rev up very quickly
when you tap the gas to downshift. Is this normal or just because
of a brand new engine?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Mark Jorgensen at Woodhouse and discuss it with him. The gas pedal of the '08 is drive by wire instead of mechanical. There have been posts about the phenomenon you describe. My 08 SRT Jeep has the same drive by wire system. When I first got it, there were delay issues. As the adaptives kicked in, the problems went away and/or I adjusted to the vehicle. I do not know how flexible the adaptives in the 08's Venom programming are for this issue. Mark will know. I think that SRT may be working on a fix for the '09's. I do not know whether that fix will work on the '08's once it is available.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this delay is really not a problem as one is accelerating thru the gears ... one does just not notice it ...However, when one is cruising at a constant speed and one decides to accelerate one does notice a slight delay...it is almost as if one has bad plugs or something....but when the torque does kick in there is so much of it that the delay doesn't bother me and it is a smooth (not jerky ) transition.

Now weightlifter when u are downshifting why don't you try letting the clutch out slowly and start to catch the rpms of the engine and then tapping the gas pedal as u release the clutch all the way?...

i'm perfectly happy with the 08 the way it is and would not change it...this viper like the one i had before it has a personality like no other car..

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

Welcome and would love to see pictures!:drive:

Your paperwork for your free year of VCA membership takes a while and I am sure that Woodhouse(Mr. Bill and Mark) will take good care of you.
What area of the country are you from?

OP
OP
W

weightlifter123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in Birmingham, AL. The Z06 I had was also drive by wire. It had some weird issues too. But revved real quick even with small inputs in the go pedal. However, it refused to do burnouts...which is a pain when you want to warm up drag radials for the occasional track day. I only noticed the revving delay downshifting single gears. If I downshift two or three gears at once (yes I know I can loose control) I naturally give it more gas and the transition is smooth. It isn't a big deal just different from other stick shifts I have driven. Motorcycles are the same way each one is picky one way or another with shifting gears. The paint job on this car is flawlessly smooth. Not much on watching paint jobs on cars but this one stands out. For me to notice how glassy smooth the paint is...it must be unusually good. I will post some cell phone pics I took. I will take some real pics soon.
You must be registered for see images attach

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great looking car. I would defintately recommend Viper Days, which lets you get the car out on a track and sort it out in a safe environment. Check out Viper Days Driving School *** www.ViperDays.com *** - Home : Chicago Commercial. The $400 you spend will get you lots of time with an experienced Viper driver, and might save you from totalling your new toy! It is NOT a mustang or Vette, as you will find out, and spins easy. You need to find that margin. Good luck and enjoy!

V

Venomiss

Beautiful Viper!:2tu:

Just in case you haven't seen this yet-it's the website for your area.
It will give you some contact information to get on the e-mail or snail mail list.
( I would try a phone call first).
Maybe try a cruise or event soon!
If you have looked at it just pass it by.;)

Viper Club of America Alabama-Tennessee

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
awsome color combo congrats enjoy in good health,get to know the car first before you start pushing it

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats.......great color combination.....enjoy, be careful with the go pedal until you get used to the car a little more. I too recommend a driving school, it's money well spent!

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice looking car!

My 2008 GTS Blue/Silver Stripes coupe arrives Friday! Like you, I just went from a C6 Z06, so we will have to compare notes.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see another red viper.... they must be selling well.. i've only seen one on ebay so far and that was short lived

OP
OP
W

weightlifter123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the props on the car. I will be joining the AL Viper club. I will take some better pics of the car this weekend too when I get a break from work.

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
08hood5