Just installed my HID Xenon head lights....

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the 6000K. They have a light blue tint and are pretty easy to install. There is even room for the ballast inside the headlight housing.

My wants were: That my GTS lights would be like the SRT10 lights......the brightness is no where near what the SRT10 lights are. I wonder if the stuff out of the SRT10 would fit ? Would it be as bright having a different reflector ?
I parked out in the dark with one stock and one HID installed. I would sit on one light at a time and try to tell the difference. Honestly, the HID "may" be a touch brighter but it is so close I am not sure. One thing I did notice was that the HID has a wierd pattern to it.....kind of a flattened out "U" shape....it even shows on the road. Oh well, I will be interested in what everybody else thinks.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think it has to do with the projection housing that hinders the HID lights...not sure...

I did a mod that made my HID's to my fogs...way bright...maybe too bright for onciming traffic...

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
not sure...I know my lights are a lot brighter than stock...maybe venom550's torch's are low quality? Not sure...

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just got mine today and if 1Tony1 got the same ones I do and they are less the SRT lights im returning them.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, the ones I got were supposedly made to work with a projector beam housing (they were the same kit as for a Denali, which has a very similar housing as the Viper), and they seem to work pretty well to me. They are certainly much brighter than stock, although they're more whitish than bluish. Philips bulbs & ballasts (I think basically the same kit Sean used to sell but I didn't get them there).

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed Sean's kit and they are much brighter than stock. Very white. Bulb mount required a bit of tweaking to get the pattern exactly right, but end result was great. Don't know how they compare to SRT-10 but am very happy with.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I looked at a pic in the other post (pic below) and I see that the HID is in the low beam (center reflector) ? I installed mine in the inner reflector (high beam??) Maybe that is my problem. A simple sheet of directions/instructions would be nice. WHICH bulb do I replace ? :)

2827hid014s_copy-med.jpg

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wowwwwwwwwwwwww Tony you scared the **** out of me.

Are those from venom blue?

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
those HID bulbs goes in the projector part, NOT high beam, even though they will fit there no problem, but when are you ever gonna drive with high beam on?? and YES STUGOTS, tony got them from us...thanks

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.....I was sure venomblues was as good as any out there, I just figured none of them would satisfy my goal. That's why I wasn't whining about wanting to send them back. I look forward to better lighting tomorrow. lol

High beams....I thought that's what you used when you needed a lot of light.

p.s. Venom.....don't tell these guys about my other ricer/poser mod hoodpad :D I still have not decided on anything custom for the top. I need to stop by my sign guys place and let him tone down what I sent you so I can look at it. Remember WHITE eye :eek: :2tu: :D

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing everybody needs to remember. Halogen headlight housings were designed for the light pattern of a halogen bulb. They will not reflect/project a arc (hid) bulb the same.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,

While I'm sure you are technically right, as long as the light origins are in the same relative positions the results are quite satisfactory. It did take some tweaking to get the origin of the HID in the same relative position of the halogen.... not plug and play.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

HID on right in both images

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've converted all of my cars to HID. All I meant was that you won't get the same pattern or coverage with the conversion. The spike in your picture is a perfect example. This is the reason that many states are looking to make the conversions illegal.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info guys.

It looks like HID is whiter and would give better contrast at night. So it would be a worthwhile investment.

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bill,

".... not plug and play."

Ron,

I just received my HID's from venomblue550 and was planning to tackle the job tomorrow. How difficult were they to install? Do you work on your car a lot?

Is this something a novice can do?

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BJH1,

Here are some pics that I posted awhile back. They may be of some help to you during your install. Pretty simple and straight forward actually. Test the lights for function before you put everything back together. Regarding aiming the lights, the levelers are just a guide to get you in the general vicinity (like boresighting a rifle scope). The final adjustment should be done against a flat wall using markings like Ron did above. Take you time and enjoy. :cool:

Oh, one more thing...DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS BULBS WITH YOUR FINGERS. The oils from your fingers can ruin the bulb when it heats up.

2827hid004s_copy-med.jpg
2827hid005s_copy-med.jpg
2827hid006s_copy-med.jpg
2827hid009s-med.jpg
2827hid008s_copy-med.jpg
2827hid012s_copy-med.jpg

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VPRVENM97,

Thanks for the pics, they are much appreciated! It will point me in the right direction.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BJH1,

VPRVENM97 did a great job highlighting the process of installation. I would just add that I used a foam pad to keep the ballast from moving around.

The not "plug and play" comment was based on the filing of the bulb base that I had to do in order to get the light origination point at the same location of the halogen. Slow and tedious. If your bulbs are well designed, you shouldn't have to do it, but in my case I couldn't get the pattern right unless I did.

If you find that you have to mod the base, let me know and I can detail the procedure.

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to Venomblue550 for the HID's, they look fantastic! I installed them tonight.

Thanks to VPRVENM97 for the pics/instruction and to Ron for the direction.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the ones I installed I have the 10K. They are ten times better than stock on My GTS.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I got mine swithed to the low beams......better. Is there a warm up period where they will flicker/vibrate ? Do they stop doing this at some point ?

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1, Check your connections. HID bulbs require a "surge" of power. If the ballast can't provide it they will flicker. This, of course is if there isn't wrong with system.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HID's turn on bright, then dim and brighten up again, say over 3 seconds or so. No flickering though. Compare to another HID equipped vehicle.

Perhaps you have an unmatched bulb / ballast combo?