Just saw the new Viper

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, cameras were not allowed; had to check them at the door and go through a metal detector.

I thought it was very nice with many elements taken from Gen II Vipers. The face has similarities to a Ferrari. I thought it looked too busy. The side looks quite siimilar to Gen II coupe. The rear wide and low in appearance. The rear 3/4 view very nice.

All in all I liked it and would buy one. For sure, there will be a Gen V, no question.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which model of Ferrari did it most look like? (You know us less fortunate need to play these games in our head) ;)

Sorry, cameras were not allowed; had to check them at the door and go through a metal detector.

I thought it was very nice with many elements taken from Gen II Vipers. The face has similarities to a Ferrari. I thought it looked too busy. The side looks quite siimilar to Gen II coupe. The rear wide and low in appearance. The rear 3/4 view very nice.

All in all I liked it and would buy one. For sure, there will be a Gen V, no question.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone draw what they saw?! ahah there has to be one person that saw it with drawing capabilities

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Generation V Dodge Viper Under Cover and Logo
October 2nd, 2010

A few privileged Viper Club of America members were able to catch a glimpse of what the upcoming Generation V Viper might look like at the 11th Annual Viper Club of America’s Owners Invitational. Security was super tight and all cameras and cell phones were checked in at the door. All we have so far is a sillouette of the new Viper under a car cover along with the new Viper Logo. Check back soon for more pictures….

UPDATE: Turns out that the car under the cover was a hoax, it was a Ferrari…

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Generation V Dodge Viper Under Cover and Logo
October 2nd, 2010

UPDATE: Turns out that the car under the cover was a hoax, it was a Ferrari…

You mean "literally" the car under the cover was a production Ferrari

or do you mean when unveiled instead of a GenV Viper the car they showed looked more like a Ferrari?

(were you there?)

thx

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score

or do you mean when unveiled instead of a GenV Viper the car they showed looked more like a Ferrari?

(were you there?)

thx

No, I am not there. I copied a post from car news site.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote from the GrailKeeper:

The Dodge dinner was great...the auction must have raised close to 40k.....amazing. Ralph had a terrific presentation which included slides, videos and lots of aluding to a new vehicles. Finally, he let the cat out of the bag.....there will be a new Viper along with a killer new logo. Keep looking on the Dodge websites. There was a car on stage under cover that most people thought would be the new Viper.....when ralph pulled the cover it turned out to be a plain ole Ferrari....blew every one away...they booed!! Finally, each person got a special wristband that allowed them into the Dodge Sneak Peak room. All the new dodge products were there...including Challenger, Charger, Avenger, Journey and Durango...at the end of the path in the SPR there is was in all her glory....a full size model of the next generation coupe...it is a heart stopper. No doubt in my mind Dodge has created a machine that will carry on the legacy with great pride...when you see it you will cry. It's a great blend of the current coupe and cues that harken back to the GTS...it has curves like a beautiful naked ....well you get the idea. Somehow I'm sure the image will be leaked...keep looking.

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so sounds like the car shown was a coupe, in the past i though the viper appeared as a vert and then the coupe came later.

Guess they will finally do what other manufacturers have done all along now? coupe 1st and vert 2nd :)

regardless, if we get in 10 owners who want to share a viper i might be able to afford a GENV. Dont worry i dont drive fast anymore, promise i wont take her past 70mph on the highways! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

J

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Interesting since there is no definitive new design yet. Not sure what you saw. Probably just an initial concept.

OP
OP
S

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure many things will change. The windows were blacked out but Ralph showed a concept slide of what it might look like and, as mentioned, there will be a V10 under the hood. Attendees were asked for input on colors and asked to sit in and critique several new seats. Even though cameras were checked at the door Maurice had his and was getting reactions from the crowd. One of Ralph's comments was that they didn't want to screw up like they did in 03 and not get input from the owners. Most comments I heard was that the fascia looked too busy but everyone liked the **** curves from Gen II. Yes, it was a coupe on display.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did it have the double bubble roof? Hopefully it had speakers in the hood!!! Did anyone request that?

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It had the double bubble roof, but with a square edge to the bubble lines.

The front looked a bit like that rendering. There are only two cooling vents on the hood, round, towards the front. The grill is busy, like that rendering, but with some exposed carbon fibrer, and lots of LED running lights. The sides have round vents like a Gen 2. The tail lights look Aston Martin. It looks like the child of a Gen 2, Ferrari 599, Aston Martin *********.

I won't buy one on looks, but when they roll out the HP #s and improvements, maybe.

Last edited:

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best looking rear end in the car manuf. industry right now, in my opinion, is the Aston. So this is great news.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also had a clamshell hood, functional carbon fiber scoops behind each side window that funnels air to the diff cooler and vents out the back under the tail lights to evacuate the diff cooler heat.

It has two smaller vents at the leading edge of the front of the hood that allow the heat from the front intake to escape. No multiple outlets in the hood like the Gen 3 and 4.

Very nice and thick carbon fiber looking diffuser in the rear.
Only thing I wasn't too sure I liked was the rear window...it was very flat and narrow.

Talked to Ralph in the viewing room for about 5 minutes regarding the cars appearance. It will be continually getting tweaked in the next 24 months according to him. He and the head of Fiat get it. Ralph came in 3rd in the ACRX race both days I think. He races, designs and leads the Viper nations/Dodge. I can't think of any other person at his level of management that is such a hands on car guy.

Do you think the CEO of GM has ever even done an autocross??? :rolaugh:

They also had other new cars to show us and the interiors and updates are very impressive. The Challenger sales are up about 61% with the new ad campaign. Might be worth looking at some Chrysler stock :usa:

Overall a very fun time with a little bit of unique history for those attending the VOI.

Cheers,
George

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote from the GrailKeeper:

The Dodge dinner was great...the auction must have raised close to 40k.....amazing. Ralph had a terrific presentation which included slides, videos and lots of aluding to a new vehicles. Finally, he let the cat out of the bag.....there will be a new Viper along with a killer new logo. Keep looking on the Dodge websites. There was a car on stage under cover that most people thought would be the new Viper.....when ralph pulled the cover it turned out to be a plain ole Ferrari....blew every one away...they booed!! Finally, each person got a special wristband that allowed them into the Dodge Sneak Peak room. All the new dodge products were there...including Challenger, Charger, Avenger, Journey and Durango...at the end of the path in the SPR there is was in all her glory....a full size model of the next generation coupe...it is a heart stopper. No doubt in my mind Dodge has created a machine that will carry on the legacy with great pride...when you see it you will cry. It's a great blend of the current coupe and cues that harken back to the GTS...it has curves like a beautiful naked ....well you get the idea. Somehow I'm sure the image will be leaked...keep looking.

As a Gen1/2 Viper purist with minimal fealings about the newer generations i must admit that my heart started rapidly beating while reading this.

Although i was hoping for it i honestly didnt think the clamshell hood would come back. Cant wait to see her now!

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread.

Ralph asked his designers to use Halle Berry and a **** female form as design inspiration. His words to us were that the human body has been attrractive to humans since forever.

I didn't like the new car. Feminine, beautiful - no doubt, but to me the Viper shouldn't be beautiful - it should be wicked and evil. It should look like it wants to kill and that when it drives down the road women clutch their children close and men tremble. The Viper should look like 'trouble' come to town.:firedev:

Ferrari does beautiful, Jag does feline.

I spoke to Ralph about this and he agreed and said 'we're not done yet'. Good.

Of course the color they showed us was pretty tame too.

The car we saw was a foam car with a full paint job. It looked like a real car but with windows you couldn't see through. It was hard to tell the 'model' was so real looking but Ralph told me this. He also said that the clamshell hood will be part of the new car.

The roof was also 'pulled down' into the rear window area (just in the middle - between the 'bubbles') and the tail lights were not hooded - likely my favourite design element of the current coupe.

The hood had much deeper contours than the current hood too.

Greg

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man it sounds more and more like a knockout. The more descriptions I read from you guys that have seen it the more its killing me slowly that I cant see the real pic yet:crying:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fireball;

You have to admit the front end was mean and scary looking. It looked like an Angry Snake coming at you wiht those Audi or 458 Italia type of headlights. The sides and the back were too tame for me, but more so, that specific look has been perfected and done already on the GEN I/IIs.

The design of the front was very similar to that Volado design but much better and even more mean looking. It still needs work, but approving the car to live again, that clay mock-up did it's job. Time to build some of the design aspects.

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally loved the Volado design, but not crazy about the idea of incorporating LED’s into the viper. What attracts most people to the Viper is the raw beauty of the car and the retro muscle look; in my opinion, the LED’s take something away from the design; I could be way off on this one though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang