Just wrapped my Console and Shifter bezel What do you think?

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to show a comparison of the 3m Dinoc vinyl vs the 3m 1080 series vinyl. The back story for this is the first one I wrapped was a 08 console and bezel I wrapped it 3 times learning different techniques. I used the 3m dinoc material. I have an 06 coupe so when I was installing it I realized that the window switches are different than the 06. So I took off mine and started wrapping it with the 3m 1080 series vinyl. It's supposed to be easier to use and has a different texture to it

3m Dinoc Series wrap (has a more grayish tint. It also matches the steering wheel carbon fiber twill.

You must be registered for see images attach

vs

3m 1080 Series

Picture of the end result with the 3m 1080 vinyl installed took 6 hours to wrap, I'm picky and it had to be right.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ironic. I just got the material in today to do mine in 3M 1080 Gloss Black to match the exterior of the car.

Was it hard to get the vinyl into the recessed gauge areas or into the cupholder? I bought the MGW cupholder trim ring just in case I couldn't get it to bend in enough with the heat gun.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ironic. I just got the material in today to do mine in 3M 1080 Gloss Black to match the exterior of the car.

Was it hard to get the vinyl into the recessed gauge areas or into the cupholder? I bought the MGW cupholder trim ring just in case I couldn't get it to bend in enough with the heat gun.

HAHA, I hope you got enough vinyl in case you mess up it took me 8 hours the first time and 4 different attempts. There tricks that you learn as you go. The vinyl will not go down into the cup holder as you can see in my last pic. you can either cut it short like I did my cigarette thing will go there so you won't see it. It will stretch in the guage cubbies but you have to push them down and spread your fingers. Don't use a heat gun. It's too hot. It will burn a hole in it. I would use a blow dryer. I used both and that's what I got from hours of experimenting. Use a small piece and practice on the guage holes. Heat and push down keep heating and pushing down. Once you go past the edge start making cuts like in pizza slices. You will learn that triangles will be your friend with vinyl. Use leather gloves so you don't burn your hands. if you pull the vinyl across a 90" angle make sure you apply some 3m 94 primer on it so that it doesn't bubble up. I hope my tips help.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job! Looks awesome! Where did you get the wrap and how much was it?

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha, well I bought it from the same place but I bought the 2'x5' so I can screw up one panel and be able to redo. Also, I planned on doing it in one night so maybe I should re-evaluate that one :D

This isn't my first time I will be applying vinyl, so I think i'll be okay. Heat gun worked fine for the other stuff I did, you just can't get it too close (obviously lol).

With your cupholder comment, I will probably just trim it flush and then install my MGW cupholder ring to cover the edge. As for the gauge bevels. I figured I would have to cut pizza shaped slits in the middle to get it to stretch down, so I'm glad that worked for you!

Looks great!

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you have talent and patience , when I tried it myself wasted 4 hours the ended back to square one . excellent job well done.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, looks like you did a fantastic job. How "real" does it look in person?
The texture is amazing. It feels like a carbon fiber weave in person. I don't know if you can see it but when the light hits it, the highlight area is gray just like real carbon fiber and the rest stays black. It comes pretty close, enough for me to do it. Although I wish the weave was as big as the 3m dinoc carbon fiber.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH, thanks to being a member and receiving that wonderful viper magazine. I used the Ipod installation guide in the second to last issue to dissemble my shifter and radio bezel. Very easy to follow.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine wrapped last night... Pretty big pain in the butt, took me about 5 hours with dis-assembly and re-assembly, but I"m happy with the result. I'm not super thrilled without the amount of orange peel in the 3M vinyl, so I may end up painting it now that I know I like the look over stock.

Before

After

Installed

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGW sells them. Kinda pricey for what it is but it's billet and very good quality so no complaints. I would like to add the matching MGW gauge bezels but they are rediculously priced IMHO.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's holding up well so far. But the true test will be the 105+ Texas Sun. It's always garaged but when I drive it somewhere and it sits under the sun will be the true test.

DholiRaja209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wrap looks good. You did a great job. I had the same done to my gen 3 about 2 years ago. So far its holding up good in CA heat. As for the ash tray area I had the same issue as you, so I added the MGW cup holder ring to add more contrast.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do I think? I think I want you to do mine! :)

Very nice...

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice job! Had mine hydro-dipped..... Just couldn't stare/take the black plastic look...... carbon fiber looks great. I could never find a red/black carbon fiber pattern to match my viper red .....so went just standard black/gray CF.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice job! Had mine hydro-dipped..... Just couldn't stare/take the black plastic look...... carbon fiber looks great. I could never find a red/black carbon fiber pattern to match my viper red .....so went just standard black/gray CF.

It seems strange to me that nobody has thought of it. There is definitely a market for that. I know I saw last year they have a black/gray and a black/gold or tan combo. It looks good so why not black/red? I think its a matter of time before somebody makes it.

To neo_rambo, it looks like you really developed some skills doing it so many times... looks real good.
I don't think I'd have that kind of patients to be honest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456