K-Mart Treasure Hunt Vipers

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody seen these yet? They're all over Ebay.

Supposedly, a K-Mart exclusive Hot Wheels Treasure Hunt item. Two Vipers.

Anyone have any idea as to how many of each will be produced? Regular treasure hunt and of course, the "Super" Treasure hunt.

Thanks,

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K Mart?? They are still in business? ALL the K Marts here in Austin closed down a few years back.

Sears bought K-Mart a few years ago. Not sure that was the best move on their part, but they did. If I remember correctly, K was on the verge of bankruptcy (or actually in it). Thought was that Sears could pick up their real estate for pennies on the dollar, close some stores, and use the rest as another distribution channel for their brands (Craftsman, Kenmore, etc.). Again, not sure it was the smartest thing they ever did.

There is only one K-Mart anywhere near me and it's a dump. The ONLY reason I would EVER go into that store is for something like this. In contrast, 120 miles away, where my mother-in-law lives, they have a Super-K. Full grocery and the rest. That store is actually rather nice, in a Wal-Mart sort of way. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm curious as to how many of these cars are being produced. Anyone?

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Vipers (both Treasure Hunt and Super Treasure Hunt) are out now, and are not exclusive to KMart. It just so happened that the cases they got for KMart Days was the series that the Viper was in, that's why so many.

You should be able to pick up the regular hunt for around $5-6 shipped and the Super TH seems to be holding in the $25-$35 range.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has Hot Wheels release production numbers? Do they ever on their Treasure Hunt lines?

There are over 200 auctions on Ebay for these and many of those are for multiple units. Given that volume, they don't appear to be too "rare". I'd just hate to spend $30 on a couple cars (TH and Super TH) and then find them a couple weeks later on the pegs for $.99

1000.vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although this still doesn't really answer your question, here is what I know...

I don't follow treasure hunts in general, only vipers, and the last time Hot Wheels released a viper T-hunt was the white one in 1996. On that package it says "Only 25,000 produced worldwide." 1996 was the last year that Hot Wheels printed production numbers on the package and by 1998 Hot Wheels didn't even release production numbers at all. Why? To increase case sales I assume. Collectors buying by the case like to be guaranteed at least one treasure hunt. Next, they created the Super Treasure Hunt to bring back the "fun" of chasing a rarer car. In my opinion then, there would be around 25,000 super treasure hunts made and many many more of the regular t-hunts (as you have seen on eBay).

Regardless of how many are made, I still have never found any hanging on the pegs in any stores near me. So I've had to use eBay. Bob, if you've had luck in the past seeing t-hunts on the pegs, you might get lucky again. If you haven't, the viper won't be any different, so you may have to use eBay as well.