K&N Air Filter

ddasilva99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on an inexpensive upgrade on my '04. I was advised that new K&N filter is the best bang/buck.

Should I purchase the filters (approximately $100CAD each) or get the CAI (2 filters + "Y Pipe") for $500CAD?

Thanks in advance,
D

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on an inexpensive upgrade on my '04. I was advised that new K&N filter is the best bang/buck.

Should I purchase the filters (approximately $100CAD each) or get the CAI (2 filters + "Y Pipe") for $500CAD?

Thanks in advance,
D

My 04 vert has just the K&N filters and stock Y tube. The previous owner did the swap so I couldn't tell you the differnece between the 2 as far as performance. You can find the K&N Y and the filters for cheaper than $500 though. Roe Racing has them for $348...see link. K&N Air Charger Intake Kit, 03-06 Viper SRT-10 - Air Intake - Roe Racing

I am thinking about going this route because I don't like the stock plastic pipe with the big square knob. I would be interested to know what the difference would be between the stock plastic tube and the K&N one.

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read another post here about the K&N CAI. The poster said something about another 10-15 hp from it. That's really cheap hp for the buck. I have a K&N on my wrangler and it definitely added a little bit of pep, but my favorite thing about it was the change in the engine note. It added a bit of a growl. I don't know what that would translate to the monster motor we have, but it's gotta be good

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got the K&N filters and Y-Pipe, along with a handful of other mods...headers, exhaust, tune. There might be a slight gain from the K&N set up if you're actually going to measure it on a dyno or something, but no way will you be able to notice any difference at all just from driving it.

My 2 cents.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
BEFORE you change out the whole system...be SURE to read the threads about removing the sensors without breaking anything!!!

OP
OP
D

ddasilva99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your posts. I like the idea that my car will sound different with the new CAI. Im surprised I wouldn't feel a 15HP difference?

I will definately review the posts regarding sensor removal.

I appreciate your advice guys!
D

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I changed the intake to K&N CAI a few months ago on my '08. You can install it yourself in less than 2 hrs even if you are not mechanically inclined. All you need is a screw driver and a wrench. I did not notice any difference in sound or power. It does dress up the engine compartment and sure looks good, but you will not feel any extra power even if it adds a few ponies.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ddasilva99,

In the spirit of Cinco De Mayo ( May 5th / Mexican Independance day ) - Go for the whole Enchilada.

Small performance & visual gains - FYI

Toddy

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BEFORE you change out the whole system...be SURE to read the threads about removing the sensors without breaking anything!!!

can you post the link...can not find it...getting ready to change mine

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
ddasilva99, come to our meeting this Sat. and I'll give you an early K&N airbox with filters...never got around to putting it on our 03.

escapedan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally I'm a fan of the K&N upgrade. Looks nice, sounds nice, not too expensive. I'd vote you go for it.

OP
OP
D

ddasilva99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Steve-Indy,

Thank you very much for your offer. I would take you up on it. It would make an awesome roadtrip and I would have the opportunity to meet Viper Enthusiasts. However, I am (hopefully) selling my 96 Camaro Z28 on Saturday.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maintenance on a K&N consists of washing them with their cleaner when they appear so dirty that it looks like it may affect their efficiency. They then need to be oiled before reinstalling. K&N makes a cleaning/oiling kit. Be careful not to over oil. Just a light spray for a red color. Let them set for a day to allow the oil to become consistant. Too much oil will be sucked through and coat your air mass flow filter.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, mine don't look dirty or poor at all. I have heard the warnings about over-oiling. I guess I'll just leave them be until they look bad. With the amount of driving I do, that will be a few years!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
swexlin, I'm with you...no praticular schedule here with our low mileage driving...in non-dusty conditions. I just keep an eye on them. It's a little bigger job on Gen I and II cars as the airbox clips can be problematic ...including the breaking of the clip's plastic anchor points.

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

You don't happen to have a Paxton sitting in your Garage that you never got around installing, do you? :D :D :D

See you at the June meeting?

Mike.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K&N website says clean every 50,000 miles.

On my Paxton the filter only got dirty on one side, so I rotated it and put it back in. (Did not flip it, rotated it ; >)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Mike....I'll check!! :)

Seriously, if anyone what's the new-in-the-box K&N
system that I mentioned above, I'll by glad to bring it to one of our meetings and hand it over...just let me know.

johnory

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ddasilva99 - im considering a k&n for the performance enhancement. were you able to tell the difference in how it performs after you did the k&n install? i also have an 04'.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960