K&N Install - LOUD Noise?

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I put on a K&N FIPK kit last night (I have a bone stock 2004), the install was easier than I expected. I followed the advice I read on previous posts and drilled out the fitting for the hose connection on the RHS of the K&N inlet tube with a 7/32" drill bit as this hole was tapered a lot and was much smaller than the hole in the stock inlet tube. I measured the diameter of the hole in the stock inlet tube and it was 1/4", so I'm not off by much. Bolted everything on, started it up and it ran fine for about 2 minutes, with the expected extra intake noise. Then it started squealing VERY loudly, sounded like old belts squealing horribly, but was running ok. The sound was definetley coming from the air filter intake, put my ear up next to the inlet and it was loud. Shut it off to check if a filter had come loose or any other problems but I couldn't find anything. Started it up again and after 30 sec. or so and the squealing noise slowly abated until it sounded ok? I took it out for a ride and it ran fine, with the hood closed I can't hear any extra intake noise at all. Can't figure this one out, anyone have any input? Do I need to drill out the hole in the tube to a larger diameter? I remember a previous post where a guy put on the kit and lost 10 or 11 hp or so until he drilled out the tube, since I didn't baseline I'm wondering if everything is ok??

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had symptoms just like those you describe, and it was indeed cured by drilling the inlet tubes to proper diameter. I would recommend rechecking and drilling both holes (even the one which is "close")

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you check the other side as well? On mione I had to open up both sides, the crankcase ventilation port (smaller drivers side) and the idle air port (larger passenger side).

OP
OP
S

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, I took off the K&N tube tonight and opened up the holes in both ports (as Ron suggested). Reinstalled and started her up, no problems whatsover. Thanks for the input guys, hard to believe K&N would ship these kits with this problem. The diameter of the passengers side idle air port was way off as well, at least 1/8" too small. When I called K&N, the tech guy knew about it too which in my opinion makes it even worse. Another "no modifications required" bolt-on claim laid to rest, what fun. Next on the list are the 3.45's!

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since I’m a cheapskate, I went with “Green Filters” along with the 3-ply induction hose from Snakeoyl. I believe the stock intake for the SRT-10 is adequate as long as you get rid of the “accordion” hose. The Snakeoyl solution does that. As a matter of fact, I’m willing to bet the stock intake tube with 3-ply will out-flow the K&N!!

My only regret is that I’ve found “Green Filters” are made in France. I’m currently participating in a French boycott.

O well

Anyway - getting the sensor out of the OE tube was a bit tricky but not as bad as some make it out to be. It went back into the Snakeoyl 3-ply without issues and all has been fine.

Too bad that K&N can’t pony-up with a reliable system and we have to rely on the French.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered the K&N setup from Parts Rack and was told
that the problem has been fixed by K&N. They said this
was their third revision. Also went with the Parts Rack
full up 3" cat and Corsa Track system. Not a bad price.

RD

SpinDr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would someone mind posting the specs for both openings?
Experiencing the same noise problem but do not have the original intake to measure against.
Thanks

05 Silver SRT10

OP
OP
S

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have the stock intake tube and I'll post the drill bit sizes I used on both ports tonight, can't remember off the top of my head. Both holes were undersized by at least an 1/8" or more.

OP
OP
S

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the drill sizes I used on the K&N intake tube connections:
1. Drivers side idle air vent hose connection - 9/32" drill bit
2. Passenger side crank case vent hose connection - 1/2" drill bit
Just take it easy when drilling the holes in the K&N intake tube and you should have no problems whatsoever. Also - make sure you clean out all the plastic drill scraps from the intake tube prior to installing the filters/tube on the car!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc