K&N intake advice

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed a K&N cold air intake on my 08' coupe. The instructions say I should not drive it in the rain... basically. It appears as though the amount of water that would get in the intake would be about the same as the factory cold air intake. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it at all safe to drive in the rain?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those that have actually done it should chime in but from all that I have read the OEM intake is the best you can get.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They offer a water shedding over-cover for their filters that should help with rain.

I drove home from the Utah VOI in a down pour, and there were no problems.

OP
OP
R

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's true the OEM works well, but it just doesn't have the "wow factor" the K&N has. I have the red intake tubes that match the valve covers...looks awesome! I do have the mesh pre-filters installed. Do the pre-filters keep the H2O out?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
A friend "in the industry" sent the following to me concerning the above issue:

"IMO what K & N is concerned with is the fact that their red oil is blended
to be washed out of their reusable air filters by cleaning with soap and
water.

Without the red K & N oil applied properly, the filter is not
able to maintain the proper particle separation efficiency to protect the
engines from the ingress of wear inducing particles into the induction system
and cylinders.

I offer this up to you, in case you think it is worthy to
reply on the forums. It isn't about the same amount of water getting into the
factory cold air intake."

Reaction score
The K&N intake design will not work at speed like the sealed factory box. There is a pressure buildup at speed and the factory designed box and filter are built to take advantage of this. That being said any small gains the K&N "may see" on a dyno are lost when driving a speed especially at the track. So buy it for looks not performance and you will be fine. Ditto on the oil thing so I would suggest against rain driving myself.

OP
OP
R

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I wish I could track the car, but with my work schedule I'm lucky to fit in a local autocross now and then. If I plan a long trip I'll just reinstall the factory air intake. Thanks again.

Burger Prince

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2006 coupe set up includes headers, high flow cats and exhaust ... Running stock filters and throttle body. Ads say these 2 modes will will complement the add ons I have. ( air in air out) 13-15hp each? thinking of the green dry filters and the larger throttle body. (herd oil soaked filters are bad like k&n ... Waste??? Or will this really open her up and give seat of pants power? I've herd both? Would I need to retune after or will computer compensate??? Great mods or a total waste...
Thanks

Bp