K&N or other cold air intake, do they really fit??

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a K&N cold air intake for my 2002 RT/10, I did a search on here and have read members posts about them not fitting and having to smash your hood down ******* them to make it close, these posts were a few years old so I'm wondering if this problem has ever been corrected or any other solutions that are better than stock. I went to advanced auto parts today and they said they don't carry the cold air intake for the Viper, I think it's because maybe it really doesn't fit. If anyone has one that will fit pm me, I might be interested...thank you...

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a K&N cold air intake for my 2002 RT/10.
2002 ACR came with K&N filters in the stock air box. I have seen an aftermarket "Hot Air" intake such as the one pictured below fitted to several Vipers. Draws heated air in from behind the radiator. Seems counterproductive to me.

You must be registered for see images

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at the JMB Performance intake for my '01. There are a lot of paint/finish choices...just trying to make a final decision and pull the trigger.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to remember that the K&N kits for the Gen 1 & 2 were more restrictive than the factory box. If memory serves me, there was a sharp bend on the intake tubes that was restrictive.

On my GTS, I did the smooth hoses and K&N filters..then cut the rain baffle out of the airbox....riviting a piece of plastic to the top of the factory box to cover the hole. Looks like it belongs there. (I also bought a new box to put away) Now when you look into the NACA duct....you see the filters. I can't imagine how much more free flowing it could get. It's important to remember that the NACA duct is not a "scoop", but an inlet.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine how much more free flowing it could get. It's important to remember that the NACA duct is not a "scoop", but an inlet.

I think it has more to do with the concept that the NACA duct inlet goes positive pressure at some speed as declared by others, and the cold air intakes offer an alternate air inlet besides hot engine compartment air.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the Gen 2 hoods, with the airbox inlet right behind the NACA inlet, I can't imagine how much difference a cold air intake would make on IAT. (Perhaps a bigger difference on a Gen 1 hood without the NACA?)

My point about the NACA was that it's not some sort of "ram-air" scoop.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the Gen 2 hoods, with the airbox inlet right behind the NACA inlet, I can't imagine how much difference a cold air intake would make on IAT. (Perhaps a bigger difference on a Gen 1 hood without the NACA?)

My point about the NACA was that it's not some sort of "ram-air" scoop.

I think you're missing it again. The comparison and discussion of IAT temps is not the stock or cold air intakes to each other, but the option of either one of those as compared to the other unrestricted air intakes that **** hot engine compartment air.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing something....but the original question as I understood it was about an ill fitting aftermarket piece or perhaps a better solution than stock. I answered with what I remembered and what I did.

The unit AZTVR showed is for a Gen 3 or 4...I've installed those and that's not the Gen 1, 2 K&N unit. I remember very well lots of complaints about the Gen 1, 2 K&N kit "back in the day".

The K&N kit for a Gen 1,2 Viper claims a 13HP increase...just about the same as simply changing to smooth hoses and K&N filters. So, either the K&N isn't so great...or the factory airbox is pretty well designed.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a k&n intake for a gen 2 for sale in the classifieds if you're interested. 200 shipped. I never installed it but I don't see why it would not fit. It's also different from the one pictured earlier.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala