K&N Question

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed a Corsa Exhaust on my SRT 10 and love it. Corsa also touts about a 10 to 15 horsepower improvement - not sure if this is 100% accurate but the car feels more powerful post installation.

I was wondering if someone more technically competent can tell me the benefits of installing a K&N Air Filter system on my Viper. Will it increase performance and horsepower? Thanks for the feedback!

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have learned that the K&N is more hype than power. The filters are actually smaller than the stock filters. I chose the GREEN setup, which is what most of the comp coupe racers also use.
Hope that helps.
By the way, if you do a search there have been a lot of production issues with the K&N.

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, having issues with K&N on past cars. I also went with green filters. The whole idea is to get more air in and out of the engine with less restriction. I would think these filters would compliment your corsa exhaust. I noticed more instant throttle response on my SRT 10. Wether or not it's much more H.P. I couldn't say, but it sure feel like it.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: K&N Question

I have the Green system, the K&N system, and last week I picked up this stainless system from RSI. I picked up the RSI system just because of a big car show I was entering today. I doubt I’ll use it for routine driving.

Out of the 3 systems, the RSI is probably the worst for power but I’ve done no testing to show one way or the other – I’m only guessing. It’s diameter forces me to use the stock accordion vs. a smooth tube plus it gets really hot. I imagine those hot tubes work great at heating the incoming air. However, it is the best for show.

The K&N supposedly makes good power but I think it should be sold with a disclaimer…”at-home engineering required”. The K&N also looks the most **-hum of the three.

The green is probably what I’ll end up using the most.

You must be registered for see images attach

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Turbo63,

This was in the trunk of the copperhead I just bought from Bill P. If it is a K&N set up ? send me a PM with an address and I will ship it to you.

Keith

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is a stock intake with K&N's bolted on.

The latest product from K&N has a smooth flow Y intake with cone filters incorporating end filter additions.
Latest model has larger orifices for breather as well as a modified airbox incorporating lowered top cover to prevent contacting hood pad.

Quiet a few members posted dyno's showing gains. Some say no gains.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Lots of folks have talked about the difficulty of removing and reinstalling the air sensor and the risk of breaking it. I decided to buy a spare in case I ever broke mine. The particular sensor used by our cars turns out to be a common part that's used on other DC cars. Even my rinky-dink dealer in my rinky-dink town had one in stock.

Shouldn't be any need to worry about downtime in the event of a broken one.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If diameter makes a difference...... then if you run without filters and have a 2 1/2" hole in the tube, how does that gain more power asit has MUCH less area.. Afterall, the bottle neck is the inlet tube..? ;)

Gerald

shortybighead

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lots of folks have talked about the difficulty of removing and reinstalling the air sensor and the risk of breaking it. I decided to buy a spare in case I ever broke mine. The particular sensor used by our cars turns out to be a common part that's used on other DC cars. Even my rinky-dink dealer in my rinky-dink town had one in stock.

Shouldn't be any need to worry about downtime in the event of a broken one.
I just simply put some dawn liquid soap around the air sensor and it popped right out!!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a K & N setup kicking around and have been thinking of installing the Green filters onto it as the K & N tube is very smooth. Has anyone tried this idea yet, and if so, with what results? You want to retain your stock air box, remove the baffle in the hood scoop, and then seal off the complete air box with self sticking 1/2" foam closed cell tape.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32