K&N Smooth Tube and filters Squeal?

N CHARG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a set of K&N smooth tube intake and filters at a VCA Club auction. I installed them the other day and I have to say, the high pitch squeal they produce is pretty aggravating. Anybody have this problem and better yet anybody have a solution. It sounds like I have a turbo running on the car.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting! I haven't heard it with mine, but I would check to make sure the intake tubes are sealed tight on the airbox and throttle bodies. Could be that there is a small leak that whistles under vaccuum. Good luck!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed it to initially. Its that whooshing sound. I think its awesome and it picked me up 7 rwhp on the dyno and looks kool

SHEVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they originally came out for the gen III, there was a problem with one of the tubes not being big enough and causing a loud squeal. If memory serves, it took a 1/2 drill bit to make it the proper size. I, unfortunately don't remember which side it was though. Maybe someone here has a better memory than me or you can find some of the old posts about it.

OP
OP
N

N CHARG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the stock airbox completely. This came with the smooth wishbone connector and two filters. So I just unbolted the airbox and removed the two hoses and air sensor from the original unit and replaced it with the smooth wishbone. Connected the two hoses and put the sensor on the new wishbone. Simple 5 minute job. Did I miss something? It is very evident squeal and per the other post yeah a whooshing sound, but to me it sounds like a turbo about to fail.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they originally came out for the gen III, there was a problem with one of the tubes not being big enough and causing a loud squeal. If memory serves, it took a 1/2 drill bit to make it the proper size. I, unfortunately don't remember which side it was though. Maybe someone here has a better memory than me or you can find some of the old posts about it.

It's probably this, I had it on my 03, I drilled that tube out a little & it went away. If you get some to rev the engine while you listen with th ehood up, this is what I did, you can isolate it very quickly as that little tube, which could be a loose rubber grommet thing, or needing to be drilled out a little. Now, who do you trust to rev your engine with your head in the engine bay ...

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you removed two tubes, wouldn't that mean that you installed it on your Gen II car?

If you installed it on your Gen II, the whistling/whooshing sound at idle and at off-idle throttle opening is normal. That sound is one of the reasons the car originally came with the setup it did (paper filter packed as tight as a Kleenex box and a big foam pre-filter) - they were trying to deaden some of the intake noise. I personally like it, and you'll get used to it :)

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine makes a whistling noice...very high pitch... I listened and it sounds like it is coming from the filters themselves.... mine is a 2006 SRT-10...

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:Dyou may have a whistle stuck in there, or a ********** woman:D

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aren't you supposed to leave the airbox with lid in the car and just replace the "Y" piece and filters?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62