Key Fob / Remote replacement....ours is the world's ugliest

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Key Fob / Remote replacement....ours is the world\'s ugliest

Has anyone made or repackaged their gen 1/2 alarm remote assembly?

I have to say that our is the world's ugliest and bulkiest, and having a flock of audis (with their slick integrate "switchblade" style remote and key, our viper ones are embarassing. In fact mine is actually larger than my garage opener and makes all kinds of noises and vibrations while driving.

Has anyone modified or changed theirs? i'm thinking of creating a new remote casing from billet and having the key molded on the end, thus making it a single unit.

Ting

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Key Fob / Remote replacement....ours is the world\'s ugliest

It is big and ugly. I broke one of mine, and replaced it with a newer "pocket sized" model. I think it was about $40.

Not sure that putting it in a metal case would be a good idea. That would make a Faraday Cage, and would block the transmitter's signal from getting out!

Fob modding does sound interesting though. I actually tried to squeeze mine into a small star trek communicator I had. It didn't fit, but the newer ones might.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In fact mine is actually larger than my garage opener and makes all kinds of noises and vibrations while driving.

Hmmmmm........ You sure you didn't pick up the "personal" massager on the nightstand by mistake :eek: LOL!!!!!

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm with you, and although some might think this is not that big of a deal it would be nice to have something not so ordinary.

OP
OP
T

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what does the newere "pocket sized" model look like? is that what we Gen 2 owners have?

It is big and ugly. I broke one of mine, and replaced it with a newer "pocket sized" model. I think it was about $40.

Not sure that putting it in a metal case would be a good idea. That would make a Faraday Cage, and would block the transmitter's signal from getting out!

Fob modding does sound interesting though. I actually tried to squeeze mine into a small star trek communicator I had. It didn't fit, but the newer ones might.

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's my windstar, old fob, new fob

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

oh nice, i have the same one as the one in the middle

where did you get your key fob? dealer? did they need to re-program or anything?

thanks

ting

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok- I want to know also--mine came with the one in the middle but they are held together with scotch tape!! Talk about embarrassing.

I want new ones

Bill

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think I got it from a JonB at Parts Rack. It's been a while. I don't think the middle one is available.

Programming is easily (5 minute job) done at home. A quick search here for fob or alarm should come up with a few hits.

What, no one's interested in the star trek communicator mod?

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score

oh nice, i have the same one as the one in the middle

where did you get your key fob? dealer? did they need to re-program or anything?

thanks

ting

I have the new style too (along with the old). I got mine from JonB at The Partsrack.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the middle one from my 98. I never considered re-doing it, but I'll pop it open and check it out. I bet the electronics could be re-done into a new board that could probably be made a LOT smaller - assuming it's not a custom die.

Thing is, smaller usually = more expensive... I'll check it out and see how much it would be done for.