Key Troubles

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got a new key cut for my GTS, and it only works in the ignition but not the trunk. I had the same thing happen with my RT; I had a key cut from both the VIN and from the original key and both would operate the ignition but not the trunk. I didn't pay full price for my Sneaky Pete key blank (got it for $30, dealership wants $170) but it's still a chunk of change to flush down the drain.

What gives? How can I fix it? I don't want to force it and risk snapping the key off in the trunk. Any tips/pointers?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange. Are you sure the trunk lock wasn't replaced? Does it work at all in the trunk? Say, if you tug it out just a hair or jiggle it a bit? Does the original key still work both locks? If so, compare the cuts. Same cut and key length?

Maybe the trunk lock tumblers are hanging? Try some graphite powder in the lock and work the key back and forth a bit to free it up... do not use a spray lube.

My .02

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
along jdeft1's question,

do or did you ever have a key that works both?

if so hold up to the new key and compare. you said " I had a key cut from both the VIN and from the original key"....did the original open both?

if not, you may have a new cylinder in the trunk or it may be bad.

local locksmiths can do wonders if you bring them the cylinder and the keys you want to open it with.

good luck

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In both cases, the key that came with the car when I bought it works in both the ignition and in the trunk. But any new key...whether cut from the original or from the VIN...doesn't work. I tried some leverage and jiggling and nothing worked. I compared the cuts and they look exactly the same (though the original key in the trunk is directional; it only works when facing a certain way).

I just didn't know if anyone else had the same problem and had fixed it somehow.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
credit card and lock pick set didn't work?

I just noticed that your MGW plate frame has the logo on the side so that it doesn't block the "TEXAS" lettering...go figure...

And nope, that didn't work. I guess I should just be REALLY careful with my working key...

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it to any store that cuts keys and have them pass it across the deburring wheel a few more times. The key is literally too new. The lock cylinders are worn as well as the key that came with the car. Drag the key across to corner of a brick, sand paper something - or just make several trips in and out of a locksmith (using their deburring wheel) until the key is worn enough to work.

Good luck.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it to any store that cuts keys and have them pass it across the deburring wheel a few more times. The key is literally too new. The lock cylinders are worn as well as the key that came with the car. Drag the key across to corner of a brick, sand paper something - or just make several trips in and out of a locksmith (using their deburring wheel) until the key is worn enough to work.

Good luck.

JUST had to do that for my newly cut JonB key. Worked like a charm for me afterwards.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason,

I had two sneaky pete's keys cut at the same place. One worked perfereclty for the back lock of my GTS, the other would not at all. Let me know what works for you!

Chris

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Install a trunk popper in the glove box and be done with it :) I had no clue that the one in my car wasn't standard.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Install a trunk popper in the glove box and be done with it :) I had no clue that the one in my car wasn't standard.

After looking through my manual, it says that I, too, should have a button in my glove box, but it's not located where yours is. I'll need a mirror and a flashlight, but I'm curious to see if it exists.