Keys

nodoor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only got one set of keys from the former owner. I assume it came with two. Any advice on getting another set? Thanks

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Technical note: "keys" are different from "fobs". Suggest that you take your proof of ownership and your Viper's VIN to your local C-J-D dealership and they can cut a new key for you (TEST it promptly in ignition, trunk/hatch to be sure that it works!!!). It generally costs only a few bucks.

Order a "fob" from Chuck Tator, JonB @ PartsRack, etc....programming instructions are on this site.

OP
OP
N

nodoor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call him for the other 1?

Sounds simple until the previous owners says he doesnt have it. I thought I read in the manual where this would be a *****. I dont want to get crushed at the dealer so I was looking for a set that looked good and worked.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, aside from "perceptions", a dealer cut one for me on a standard CJD blank for $5.00...not a "show piece" just a functioning key!!

Edit: By the way, I would strongly suggest that you lube and cycle the external manual key entry slot at least every 6 months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nodoor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So will the dealer issue a nice looking replacement key with the Viper logo on it or just a metal cut key?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get the actual key from the dealer. Looks just like the other one you have.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
nodoor, the key that I had made was a plain, generic key. You CAN purchase a "Viper key" as has been outlined...AND, for even more style, you may be able to find the special keys that were available about 10 years ago...which came with a large blue or red Sneaky Pete...very heavy key!! JonB may be able to guide you to a similar key blank with Fang on it.

My purpose in responding was to assist you in maintaining the functional status of your Viper. You would be surprised as to the numbers of "one-key-folks" who find themselves locked out of their Viper.

Bitis Gabonica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my 2006 coupe with one set of keys, went to a local C-J-D paid 14 bucks for the blank and 14 bucks to cut and test the new key, total cost 28 bucks plus tax.

Bitis Gabonica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops! I forgot to mention the new key is the same as the old, black plastic with the Viper head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4