Kumho Ecsta's for everyday use?

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Kumho Ecsta\'s for everyday use?

Any tire that is going to hook will pick up rocks bar none......

Kumho's on a gravel driveway will = rock chips.

You can minimize some of the damage by putting the 3M tape on the lips of the fenders and front and rear surfaces of the side sills.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am going to post a review of the Kumho's in a few weeks after some more miles.I probably have 300 miles on them now. 5 autocross passes, 2 races but from a 40 roll, no wet weather yet. Mine is a daily driver and certainly no garage queen but I think after I do Road Atlanta next month I am considering removing the front Kumhos. If you do not like the sound of small gravels hitting the wheel well don't go with the fronts. I'm sure the rears do the same but I can't hear then like the fronts (that also based on et streets on the road) I did the fronts also because I was worried about the handling on the track and autocross. Are your current tires old and hard ? You should be sub 2.00 sixtys on a bad pass......more practice??? How are you leaving?

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have 4 hard, worn Pilots which spin in 1st and 2nd. It has even wheel hopped a little in second, and it squeals the tires in 3rd. It is has a lot of h.p., as evidenced by the 120mph terminal speed. I have tried everything I know to try, including 1500rpm launches dumping the clutch, 2500 rpm rapidly engaging the clutch (slower than dumping) without using the right pedal until the rears hookup, and have even tried spinning with judicious use of the loud pedal. My clutch is well worn, so I don't want to try slipping it (not that I know how).

So, if I get 285 Pilots in front (preferable to 275's for roadcourse) and 335 Ecstas for the rear, how would this work? Same questions as original post, as to sandblasting the rear end of the car with gravel. Would this work okay in daily driving, or do I go with 4 Pilot Sport Michelins? Thanks.

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had the kuhmos on the rear of my 94 r/t with nitrous for the entire summer....it has seen rain...and recently cold roads added a new driving challenge with the kuhmos....at the track my short times are down from a 2.20...to a 1.80 and still spinning some.they hold well under the nitrous. now ...in the rain....if it is warm out....no problems.however...once cold...it's like you are on ice skates!!!it takes some go pedal control not to end up sideways....even under part throttle accel. I also have a set of 2001 18" wheels...which will go back on now. I do not think the kuhmo's will make good cold weather tires.but still have more than enough tread to be used next summer!!!!a great deal for only $171 per tire!if you have any specific questions ...let me know and I will answer them best as I can.

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have read the old threads by searching this site. Some say you can use Pilots on the front axle with Kumho's on the rear. What do you think? Are the cold weather characteristics of the Kumho's so much worse than old, hard Pilots that they would be dangerous in SOUTH Louisiana? I can be a little selective as to temperature and rain conditions, as I have a couple or three other cars to drive in bad weather. Do rocks stick in the treads all the time like a race tire, or do they just take a while to spin off? Thanks.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reggie Simmons:
I have read the old threads by searching this site. Some say you can use Pilots on the front axle with Kumho's on the rear. What do you think? Are the cold weather characteristics of the Kumho's so much worse than old, hard Pilots that they would be dangerous in SOUTH Louisiana? I can be a little selective as to temperature and rain conditions, as I have a couple or three other cars to drive in bad weather. Do rocks stick in the treads all the time like a race tire, or do they just take a while to spin off? Thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think stocks on the front and Kumho's on the rear will be ok. This is a race tire so you will get thrown rocks (more like small gravels and smaller) at more than a 2-3 mph roll. Larger rocks are less likely to stick.

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kumho Ecsta\'s for everyday use?

I know this question has been asked, but only partially answered. These tires are good at the tracks, good in rain, and have a short life expectancy. But, I have a gravel driveway and use my GTS nearly every day, unless I know it will be raining. Sometimes the clay-gravel is wet the day after a rain. So, do the rocks stick into these tires like Hoosiers or other pure race tires, or can I drive the car daily, rain or shine, with Ecsta's without problems from rocks and pebbles. A second question is whether they actually do "sandblast" the side sills and fenders as some has cautioned against.

If Ecsta's are not the answer for daily driving consider this. My '96 GTS with me driving hard, heat-cycled Pilots turns a best e.t. of 12.44 and 120.2 mph in the quarter with 2.15 60 foot times. I need help in the 60 ft bracket. So, If not Ecsta's, what is the choice? Not P Zero's, Not M.Thompson E.T. Streets, not Hoosiers, so are Michellin Pilots the only thing left? Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456