Latch on removable hard top..

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The driver's side front latch on my removable hardtop fell apart the other day. There are two screws on the inside of the latch and they both came off, fell inside the actual top itself. I tried fixing this , but now the latch won't securely latch to the area above the windshield. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a part that can be ordered? Doesn't anyone know???

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huuummmmmmm,
What year?, and maybe it makes no difference. The 2 Phillips head screws that hold the latch in the top, should have fallen into your lap if the top was on the car, not into the top. I just fixed mine as the latch became loose and the top would vibrate and unlock itself from one latch. I put the top on it's top and removed the 2 screws mentioned above, and the latch comes out. It has a lock nut on the back which had loosened. I took it off, cleaned it and used Lock Tight and tightened it back up, reinstalled and works as it should.
Good Luck,

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2 Phillips head screws were fine. The lock nut had come off of the back of the latch, and fell down into the inside of the top. There was also a little spring that had fallen off somewhere, so I'm assuming this latch is spring loaded? Because I put the lock nut back on, but now the latch won't "lock" when pushed all the way over to safely secure the top in place.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jbs45,
What year is your hard top?
I suspect it is newer than mine (1996), and may be very different.
I just went and looked at mine, and there are no springs.
The latch rotates from side to side freely (no spring), with just rubbing friction.
The plate where you slide the latch has a detent for the sliding handle to drop into when in the locked position, and the lock on the windshield frame is tapered to secure the latch, plus the pressure from the hardtop rubber secures the latch.
Have you put it back together with a new lock nut and Lock Tight?
Other than the fact that you may have a nut rolling around in the top, it should work just fine.
Later,

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a part that can be ordered? Doesn't anyone know???

Yes the part can be ordered at a Dodge dealership but that part runs about $500 each. I had the same problem with these latches. I had the ball bearing fall out of a few of them and then they got lost. Thanks for the warranty. If you are looking for new latches there are several Viper parts places that might have front ones:

Northwind Engineering

Viper Parts

You can also Google VIPER PARTS or VIPER HARD TOP and you should get all the places.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who actually made the optional hard top? I'm assuming this was contracted out to someone like PPG?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32