Late Gen 2 Fuel Tank / Pump Swap

Eric D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to kick a dead horse on the fuel pump topic but after doing some research on my fuel pump fix I wonder if anyone has the knowledge to answer the following. My pump is out on my 99 RT/10. Obviously these are discontinued and options are few and not cheap. Looking through the differences between fuel tanks and fuel pump modules between early Gen 2 tanks and 2000-2002 it looks like the tank is physically the same size but has just moved 2 of the ports from the fuel module to the tank. Is it possible to swap a 2000-2002 tank and pump combo into a 96-99? I can get a new tank and new fuel pump from a later Gen 2 cheaper than what I have seen for a rebuild of mine. Does anyone know if this is possible? I have not been able to find any data on the pin outs for the fuel pump connector or verify the which ports have moved to the 2000-2002 tanks so I cannot really verify anything but wondering if that would even be a possibility and could help out a few folks.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it really worth the headache? The fuel tank is really buried in there so you'd have to remove the drive shaft and maybe rear end to get to it. It's pretty simple to swap out just the fuel pump module.