Leak question

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It I am not mistaken this is transmission right behind the oil pan? Purchased this about a week ago and noticed a slight smell to my garage. Ever so slight drip from this area. The fluid is a brown tint. I have not been able to lift it up yet I need a low profile jack.

The oil pan as well seems to have some oil on it but not dripping. I did not notice anything like that a week ago or noticed on the PPI

Vehicle has 12k miles. Purchased from first owner. Never tracked and I have not been pushing it hard.

Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_3758.jpeg
    IMG_3758.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3757.jpeg
    IMG_3757.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3756.png
    IMG_3756.png
    546.4 KB · Views: 24

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a Gen 2? It is not uncommon to have a few seeps of fluids on these cars. If it is not getting pushed back from the front, the rear oil seal could be seeping, but you would have to remove the Trans/bell housing and clutch to get to it. If it is minimal, just keep a pan under it. Keep an eye on the clutch fluid, they have been know to fail too and could be the culprit.

I drive right by your town twice a month (AL-TN), if you need anything let me know

OP
OP
J

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a Gen 2? It is not uncommon to have a few seeps of fluids on these cars. If it is not getting pushed back from the front, the rear oil seal could be seeping, but you would have to remove the Trans/bell housing and clutch to get to it. If it is minimal, just keep a pan under it. Keep an eye on the clutch fluid, they have been know to fail too and could be the culprit.

I drive right by your town twice a month (AL-TN), if you need anything let me know
Gen 1 94 RT. So far in 48 hours 2 small drops onto a cardboard box.

I will keep an eye on the amount and frequency I did not notice any sounds or smells or issues Friday AM driving it.

The mechanic who has worked on it for maintenance stuff for the last 20 years raved how she was bone dry no leaks and here we go already.

I found the clutch reservoir right by the brake fluid but I can’t get the cap off and I feel like I’m going to snap the housing from its bracket. I don’t see any signs Of leaking from there.

Oh would be great to catch up one day

OP
OP
J

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 94 RT. So far in 48 hours 2 small drops onto a cardboard box.

I will keep an eye on the amount and frequency I did not notice any sounds or smells or issues Friday AM driving it.

The mechanic who has worked on it for maintenance stuff for the last 20 years raved how she was bone dry no leaks and here we go already.

I found the clutch reservoir right by the brake fluid but I can’t get the cap off and I feel like I’m going to snap the housing from its bracket. I don’t see any signs Of leaking from there.

Oh would be great to catch up one day

Maybe a tad low?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 13

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes a tad, and that could be the source of your dripping. Most of the time, when they fail, they fail hard. Just keep an eye on both

OP
OP
J

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes a tad, and that could be the source of your dripping. Most of the time, when they fail, they fail hard. Just keep an eye on both
Is there any way to monitor transmission fluid level? Oil level is fine and recently changed with Mobil 1 synthetic. The fluid as it collects on the transmission looks darker than both but depending how far it’s traveling and collecting dirt etc.

But I will definitely keep an eye on it.

I am adjusting to the clutch length on this car but have not had any grinding or really hard shifts or slipping out of gear to date.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Guessing this isn't the case on your car, but valve cover leaks often show up at the oil pan as well. I know on my 2004 that the oil pan often looked a little wet and had some drips on it that I had a hard time tracking down. New valve cover gaskets seemed to fix it for the most part.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^ True. ^^ Since the engine tilts slightly to the rear, a valve cover leak will usually drip from the lower rear corner.

OP
OP
J

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^ True. ^^ Since the engine tilts slightly to the rear, a valve cover leak will usually drip from the lower rear corner.
Ok I will try to look more. They seem dry when I try to look down in there I am fairly familiar with those having owned an e46 BMW.

In 72 hours of sitting in the garage there have been 4 small drops on the cardboard

TEALLIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like the slave cylinder?

Usually when they go, they go quick, so watch it closely. Mine went at 12k miles also out of nowhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala