Leaking Oil Pan (2001) that was not the Oil Pan

Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 with 2,000 miles. After returning from a cruise night and going through a little rain I parked the car in the garage and the next morning when I pulled the car out to clean I saw several drops of oil in the floor. After I got the car jacked up I could see several drops of oil on the fins of the oil pan. I put the car on the lift and could see that the oil pan appeared to be leaking around several bolts, even though they appeared to be tight. I had scheduled a trip to the dealer for another little problem and told the tech to look at the oil pan for leaks (remembering the past post about this problem). He raised the car and inspected the oil pan and determined it was a rear main seal, ordered one, pulled the trany, replaced the seal, installed the trany and tested. The leak reapeared within 1 hour. He called DC and they informed him that the problem was a hair line crack in the block above the seal, requiring the motor to be pulled and returned for inspection, repair or replacement (they had seen 3 others with the same problem in the past few months). Therefore, do not automaticaly assume the oil pan is the problem (if it is that is better than engine replacement).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eric:
2001 with 2,000 miles.......raised the car and inspected the oil pan and determined it was a rear main seal, ordered one, pulled the trany, replaced the seal, installed the trany and tested. The leak reapeared within 1 hour..DC informed him that the problem was a hair line crack in the block above the seal, requiring the motor to be pulled and returned for inspection, repair or replacement (they had seen 3 others with the same problem in the past few months <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, Eric, of all the bad luck. This is a new one on me. Ive heard of many main seal probs, and the infamous "PPS" or Porous Pan Syndrome" of 98-99.........

This brings up a "WHAT THIS BOARD NEEDS" suggestion.

What this board needs is a "Symptom - Diagnosis" area, where anyone could post items like this. For future reference. If we had been doing this all along, we would have a valuable tool right now.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '98 GT2 is leaking a small amount of oil. My 5 star dealership has been unable to locate the part numbers they think that it will need - for the main seal and main seal cover plate. Anyone have those numbers?

Also, (and I hope this is not too dumb of a question), is there an easy way to tell if my car has "pourous pan syndrome" and needs a new oil pan?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Middleton:
My '98 GT2 is leaking a small amount of oil. My 5 star dealership has been unable to locate the part numbers they think that it will need - for the main seal and main seal cover plate. Anyone have those numbers?

Also, (and I hope this is not too dumb of a question), is there an easy way to tell if my car has "pourous pan syndrome-PPS " and needs a new oil pan?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

J.M. , old buddy.......

If your dealer cannot ID part numbers for main seals, you should RUN AWAY... NOT WALK..........etc, etc....

PPS was pretty much unique to some 1998s...

Raise the car. Wipe down and dry off the pan. Draw a white chalk line "belt" 360-degrees around the outer edge of the oil pan. Then, go away a day or two. Come back, and see if there are drips/seeps of oil on the bottom of the pan or its fins, without any evidence that the chalk line was compromised from oil dripping/seeping down and thru the beltline of chalk. Yellowed chalk points to the leak above. (That's why no yellow chalk!)

If you have drips but perfect chalk, either a miracle occured...or PPS requires a new pan.....GET A 2000 PAN KIT REGARDLESS !!!

boosttoy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon,
How much is a oil pan that would be used for road course track days?Do you keep these in stock ?
Thanks,Frank

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear main seal/cover assy part #4763726, gasket #5245072-AC, and I replaced pan gasket 5245072-AC and since your in there might as well order a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
smile.gif