Life with my Viper after 'the move'

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Life with my Viper after \'the move\'

For those of you who haven't followed the story : I moved to Vienna (Austria) about 6 months ago and decided to take my Viper.

Here's a small summary of what it feels like to own a Viper in Europe. I might be biased since I owned the car before in the US. My US set-up was house with 2 car garage and shop. Here I live in an appartment and the toys go in an underground parking. There is no alternative...

OK, my findings after the first couple of months :

1. Why are streets so narrow ?
2. Why do I need so much HP ?
3. Why does fuel cost 3 times more than in the US ?
4. Why am I not allowed to wash my car by hand ? (there's a law against washing your car on the street). Everybody takes their car to car washes. I refuse to and face the risk of getting fined. Washing the car on the street feels kind of odd to say the least. Where are the good old times when I spent an entire afternoon detailing the car ?
5. It's cool to drink a beer in the Viper witout some a$$hole trying to put you in jail :)
6. It's cool to go as fast as you can on the highway.

Net, it's been a pretty dissapointing situation though. The car will go for sale early 2005 and we will make our way back to the US after next summer (still got a lot of travel to do before we move back ;) ). What ever the US misses from a culture point of view, it certainly makes up by having a better standard of living. The lack of space, privacy and excessive taxes are just killing me here.
By the way - the locals ADORE the Viper. It is one of the rarest exotics around here. Somebody will be happy to pick it up next year.
Already thinking about an SRT-10 :2tu:

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Life with my Viper after \'the move\'

Culture shock can be overwhelming sometimes. Unfortunately it sounds like you'll be back by the time you get used to it.
Drinking alcohol in a motor vehicle? That's a no no even up here.
Too bad your thinking of "upgrading" the car when you return. I have a '67 Mustang convertible, which was a local car but has spent a couple of years in the BVI. and now its back. I think that's cool.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Yves, good to hear from you. Sorry to hear things aren't quite as fun over there- but just remember-

The problems associated with owning a Viper are nowhere near as bad as the problems associated with NOT owning one. :2tu:

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How do you pronounce Yves? I keep wanting to stick an "i" in there.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wait til June 24th...

BTW
1. You will get used to it soon.
2. You never can have too much HP!
3. Don´t worry - enjoy driving ONE of the best cars ever.
4. NO problem at all.
5. NEVER!
6. YES-YES-YES!!!

:)

P.S.: I have to drive down to Grossglockner before we go there with the snakes - still some snow. I will do it in 2-3 weeks by bike. Do you like to join me for the tour...?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you get the time, swing over to GIWASA (click) in Andorra (Pyrenees) between Spain and France. They really into Vipers and Viper performance. It be interesting to get a first hand report on their business. :usa:

OP
OP
Y

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score

P.S.: I have to drive down to Grossglockner before we go there with the snakes - still some snow. I will do it in 2-3 weeks by bike. Do you like to join me for the tour...?
Markus,
The R1 is in the shop right now. This week it passed import inspection, for which it had to be de-tuned. I had to drive it like that for 4 weeks, nearly made me crazy. Next Friday I get it back with the full 170 HP :cool:
Maybe we can zip to the Alps. The 4 hour drive to Inssbruck might get me into a lot of trouble though. I recently got carried away on the highway and found myself cruising at 270 km/h. Quality of the highways is amazing around here.

To all the others - thanks for your support.
Do keep in mind though that this is not culture shock. This is the 6 th country I live in. Despite all the complaints I sometimes read on this website...you should all be grateful to live in a great country :usa:
Take this from a European :smirk:

But after all this was planned. This was a great career move and a possibility for my (American) wife to travel Europe. She's been enjoying Tuscany, Prague, etc... great experience for her.
All I wanted to say is ... it's not as easy to enjoy the Viper to the same extent as in the US.
And after all, the quality of Viper experience is rather important in our lives, isn't it ? :)