Lightweight Lug nuts - do these fit a 2000 GTS?

Tripple-V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello VCA-friends out there,

I hope my question can be answered here - well I'm pretty sure it can:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-B...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Do these Lug Nuts fit on a Gen 2 Viper Coupe?
I couldn't find any datas in the Service manual...?:dunno:

or ist there annother place to get somthing like these?
To me the fact of saving weight in every (affortable) way is interesting:rolleyes::rolleyes: I know...I know... I'm working on a diet the sime time...:spin:

Thanks for your infos...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A while back there was a discussion about titanium lugs and studs but nothing ever came from it.

These appear to be aluminum. I'd like to see strength comparisons against steel lugs.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I, and I'm sure many others, wonder how significant saving a few ounces of weight with lighter lug nuts is on a 3,400 lb vehicle.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I, and I'm sure many others, wonder how significant saving a few ounces of weight with lighter lug nuts is on a 3,400 lb vehicle.

Not much but it is rotating mass so there might be some value.

And if folks can want high end stereos or window tint on an RT/10 then I don't see why saving a few ounces on lugs isn't a reasonable request.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello VCA-friends out there,

I hope my question can be answered here - well I'm pretty sure it can:

eBay Motors: (24) BLACK 1/2" FORGED LUG NUTS - DODGE VIPER R/T 10 (item 270327993580 end time Jan-15-09 22:56:41 PST)

Do these Lug Nuts fit on a Gen 2 Viper Coupe?
I couldn't find any datas in the Service manual...?:dunno:

or ist there annother place to get somthing like these?
To me the fact of saving weight in every (affortable) way is interesting:rolleyes::rolleyes: I know...I know... I'm working on a diet the sime time...:spin:

Thanks for your infos...
if those are truly open ended, like they look. they will look like poop after awhile when the oxidation from the studs comes out the end of the nut.......call Jon at parts rack and he can send you a cool setup

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completly off the subject--- did anyone else know that the *** zero only weighed in a 4000 lbs empty?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i do need a new set of lug nuts but im nut sure if i would get those.

ive heard aluminum ones might not pass tech on some tracks do to the weakness. Could someone verify this?

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In SCCA solo II the aluminum ones passed...at least I did.

While I was looking at many different lug nut options due to the color choices (for the Viper)....the aluminum ones are a bit more "brittle". If you use an impact wrench on them...odds are you will crack them. The open ended ones will DEFINITELY look like crap after a period of time as well.

If you really want the colored versions, just get the Spline Drives from McGards. The lug nuts are splined and sort of in itself a locking nut. They come in colored caps....had blue, red, black, gold, silver and purple I believe. I have the red ones.

SplineDrive Lug Nuts - McGard: Innovative Security Products

You need 1/2 X 20 lug nuts. Better to get products that are made by reputable companies. I dont know who makes those lug nuts. I have also seen other peoples cars with less power and weight strip a lug nut or two due to crappy quality ones.

The weight that you save from rotating mass I think is so minimal for the street...that it is not worth it in my opinion. You can save more weight from walking for 1 hour a day, everyday, eating smarter, and get more out of it health wise too. :D

Get the better made products. It will be worth it in the end. Everyone has skimped on something and had to pay more to replace or repair the issues thereafter.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we are thinking of bringing out a billet-cnc'd-stainless lugnut that has the viper logo on the end. it would be available thru Jon at parts rack. any interest?

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we are thinking of bringing out a billet-cnc'd-stainless lugnut that has the viper logo on the end. it would be available thru Jon at parts rack. any interest?

If you make them powdercoated or anodized as color options maybe.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you make them powdercoated or anodized as color options maybe.
they are stainless! why would you powdercoat stainless? plus powder coating would get knocked off just trying to install them. you could fill in the viper logo engraved into the end with your paint color
i will post a pic tomorrow of them

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are stainless! why would you powdercoat stainless? plus powder coating would get knocked off just trying to install them. you could fill in the viper logo engraved into the end with your paint color

EErrrrr sorry and forgive my ignorance in metallurgy. :D I just wanted to give myself an excuse to spend the extra money on them.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested if you could come out with Red ones. I am wanting to try a different color to see if it goes good with my red calipers.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A while back there was a discussion about titanium lugs and studs but nothing ever came from it.

These appear to be aluminum. I'd like to see strength comparisons against steel lugs.

there was a vendor on the porsche boards i spoke to about titanium lugs, $1,200 for the set.:confused::confused:

there is another place that makes titanium wheel studs, I'll post a link, I never got pricing, had to send them a stud and i just got lazy.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Completly off the subject--- did anyone else know that the *** zero only weighed in a 4000 lbs empty?

No, but compared to an F/A-18E Super Hornet empty weight of nearly 30,000 lbs it seems rather impressive.

I wonder what type lug nuts a fighter aircraft uses? Those things have to hold the wheels on somehow.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are stainless! why would you powdercoat stainless? plus powder coating would get knocked off just trying to install them.

not with these: Protective Socket Set - Specialty Tools - Tools - Griot's Garage

(you can get em at harbor freight for cheaper)

I think that that socket set only protects the wheel; and maybe the top of the lug nut. Like X-Metal says, the powdercoat would be knocked of the lug nut surface where the socket applies the torque to the nut. There is a lot of PSI involved at those points.

OP
OP
Tripple-V

Tripple-V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback!! You folks are great!! :2tu:

The intension to change the lug nuts came, when I held a set of Porsche lug nuts in my hand...! Five of these felt like one of my Vipers! And they came from a 15 year old 911 Carrera. Not some ultra GT3-RS or so...!!:eyecrazy:

@ Chuck 98 RT/10: Thanks, you got my point! As I occasionally drive on the "Nürburgring Nordschleife", you just want to be prepared.

@ XLR8SN: Thanks for the link. Oh...and...btw: As I mentioned, I working on my "reserve ponds" too..;).

@ X-Metal: Count me in for a set, if they're affortable and of good quality.

Once again, thanks to you all! This forum is allways the best place to get help!
:usa: :headbang: