Limp mode???

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper did some driving this past weekend (250+ miles) which also had the car turning on and off several times between stops. The car was running great before leaving a show in Long Island yesterday afternoon. I gave the car a few revs when I was rolling out but I don't think the revs would have caused any kind of damage to the car (Wasn't holding the gas down bouncing off the rev limiter). As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot, the car felt very sluggish and was not accelerating past 2500 rpms. I pulled over, shut the car off, checked everything (which seemed to be ok) and tried to go for another ride which lead to the same symtpons. It almost feels as if the right side of the car loses power after 2500 rpms. I didn't want to risk anything so luckily I was right down the road from Snake Pit Performance where I limped down that way and left the car over night. Still waiting to hear back from Mike but does anybody have an idea off the top of their head? I heard something about a sensor behind the front right wheel well that has to be reset??? Ah...!

Nick

Last edited:

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like what happened to me. but for me it wouldnt go past 3500. drivers side cat went out. mechanic said it did not get clogged, it fell apart inside of the pipe and literly plugged the exhaust.

good news they are covered under a 8 year 80k mile federal warentee. bad news you will probably have to order the part from dodge. took a week to get mine. could have gotten aftermarket high flow cats from the viper store over night.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Synergy....what year ("it matters") ...and color (might matter if 2008)...build date???

If an 2008, what are the first two digits on the fuel injectors (you may need a light and a mirror) ?/

Search "limp mode".

OP
OP
S

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No check engine light (12k miles).

Mike just gave me a call after he went for a quick ride. He mentioned a clogged exhaust can be a possible option (has this ever happened to anyone?) and doesn't think any damage is done to the car as of right now. He will be looking into it some more later on today after his already scheduled apts. Crossing my fingers that it's an exhaust since I plan to do a full belanger set up anyways... AHHH!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
In addition to plugged cat, plenty to consider...Spark (bad plugs, wires, coils??)...fuel pressure should be 55 psi + or - 2, so if low could be pump, filter. After that, only bad things come to mind...so I hope it is something simple. You may need to put a DRB III on it. Good luck.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine went bad, never caused a performance issue, but did rattle like crazy. My "in service date" showed I was outside the warranty time period. I purchased a pair at the time and never changed the passenger side, so I still have one available if needed. it is a complete bolt on, no cutting or welding needed. let me know if you (or anyone else) needs it.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No check engine light (12k miles).

Mike just gave me a call after he went for a quick ride. He mentioned a clogged exhaust can be a possible option (has this ever happened to anyone?) and doesn't think any damage is done to the car as of right now. He will be looking into it some more later on today after his already scheduled apts. Crossing my fingers that it's an exhaust since I plan to do a full belanger set up anyways... AHHH!

same with me. no code, no other problems. my 2006 only has about 24k miles when my cat desintegrated in the pipe. one day it worked, next day it didnt. the viper store sells aftermarket hi flo cats i would recommend over the ceramic factory units and they are cheaper. cheaper still is getting rid of them alltogether. my plan as soon as the warentee runs out.

OP
OP
S

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine went bad, never caused a performance issue, but did rattle like crazy. My "in service date" showed I was outside the warranty time period. I purchased a pair at the time and never changed the passenger side, so I still have one available if needed. it is a complete bolt on, no cutting or welding needed. let me know if you (or anyone else) needs it.

Thanks Steve! I will let you know!!

OP
OP
S

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I got a bad tank of gas which may have lead to the cat clogging up. Looks like I'll be doing an exhaust earlier then expected. I originally wanted to get the full belanger system but might go with Corsa track exhaust with random technology high flow cats. Does anybody have a video of that combo to get an idea of what it sounds like??

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a well known fact that cats only go bad at the worst possible place and time :)