Lo Tire Alarm

04 SRT10 Owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I'd like to say hello to all the great Viper folks out there. This is my first post. I live in the northeast and it's been very cold. I have my car in the garage(unheated)with a cover. I went to start it up yesterday and the battery was low but not completely dead. Door locks still worked. The battery was charged and the car was started up and left running. The low Tire alarm has continued to chime despite pumping air into the tires to 30psi. Any advise regarding this issue?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were posts before that provided some information. A search may help. Sorry - I do not remember what they indicated but I thought it stated it would go away after x number of starts.

Regarding the low battery are you aware of the sleep mode for the SRT? It is in the owners manual but is something like turn key from off to acc 3 times and then press door lock switch up or down. Please check the manual as my memory is far from infallible.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It takes a while for the low pressure warning to turn off. The sensors only send information at certain time intervals, so until the computer hears from all four tires that everything is OK the light will stay illuminated. Should clear shortly.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the low tire sensor is set to go off much lower than 30 I run 24 in the rear tires and it will go off on very cold days, as the pressure drops a little below 24, but soon as the tires warm up it goes off and stays off. By the way, I think 30 in the rear is way to much for good traction, and you will not have abnormal wear or poor handling. These tires are very forgiving on lowered pressure, plus the sheer volume of the rear tire will allow you to run this pressure. When I had my 02 GTS I had the Smart Tire System on it, and I ran 23-24 in the rear, and I was able to monitor the tempature in the tire, and even after running on a 50 mile highway trip on a 100 degree day the temp only went up a few degree's above actual outside temp, and my front tires that had 30 in then showed about the same temp, and the temp in the tire is a very good indicator if you were to low. There was no handling difference in the car at the lowered pressure, but it did have much, much better traction, and as an added bonus, the car road a bit better. I guess if you were cruising at a sustained high speed 90 mph or more for a long time it may be ok to run 30 or more but not for sporting around. I also keep an eye on tread wear, using the tool the tire shops use to check depth.

Skip White

OP
OP

04 SRT10 Owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response. When the weather warms up I'll adjust the tire pressures as suggested.
Jerry Tracy

OP
OP

04 SRT10 Owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. By the way I'm very jealous that you're driving your car while I'm waiting to thaw.
Jerry

2004 SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My understanding is that the low tire alarm is set to go off at anything below 20lbs. I would drive it around the block then see what happens.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a daily driver and when the temp falls below 20 the warning comes on. Within a few miles the pressure comes back up and it goes off. I second the opinion that the higher pressure recommended is too much for good traction. I lowered to 25 and it's better, but still not enough!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang