Looking for a 1996 B/W GTS

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I've been reading the forums for many years. A while ago I bought Mr. Liang's Buyer's Guide. I've driven a 2003 SRT/10 and have ridden in two GTSes. I've made several friends with extremely nice people that loved to share the Viper Experience. The Viper Club is a huge positive mark on the list of reasons to buy. The Blue & White 1996 GTS, to me, is the iconic Viper. VOI10 is this year, and there's a possibility that production will cease. It's about time I had one then!

I'm looking for something in the $40ks(that's a good range). I want a mostly stock car, but a short-throw shifter, K&N filters, new tires, and an upgraded exhaust are all things I could live with. No body work. No paint work. I want something that approaches "excellent". I understand that my price range will require a car with anywhere from approximately 15k to 30k miles on it. I will drive the car, and I will most certainly enjoy it here in Washington State, where I will attend club events.

I've seen a few 1996 GTSes in the Classifieds, and have contacted the ones that seem worthy.

Can anyone recommend anything else?

I've gotta get a car my kids can ride in. I know the 1996 GTSes have airbags, but no stock way to disable them. Is there a safe way to disable/enable the passenger airbag when a kid rides in that seat?

Also, I'm 6'5" so I'll want a seat lowering kit. I think I want the one that lowers yet still allows seat adjustment forward and back. Are they worth it?

Finally, if there's anyone near Seattle that's planning anything and will allow an almost-member to accompany them, I'd absolutely love to meet up with you.

Thanks,

Nathan

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are getting harder and harder to find in "clean" condition, took a while to find my '97. Those that are, usually Bernie or some other dealers will swoop in first cash in hand, B/W's are money in the bank. Will keep eyes open for you. What about a '97?

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are getting harder and harder to find in "clean" condition, took a while to find my '97. Those that are, usually Bernie or some other dealers will swoop in first cash in hand, B/W's are money in the bank. Will keep eyes open for you. What about a '97?
Jon,

I'd prefer a 96, but I'd be dumb to pass up a 97 that was a great value. I'm open to them...

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TheAmigo,
I was in your situation last year at this very same time. I was hung up on "it had to be a 96" and considered a 97 an option only if the price was really good. In March after 3 months of searching and looking at several cars , I did find a 96 that was bone stock with 15K miles and the only flaw was a small rock chip in the windshield. I was lucky enough to have Maurice Liang go along with me to look at every Viper that I considered. It helps to have a knowledgeable unemotional 3rd party involved. Get someone from the local club to go with you to check out the car. It is easy to get caught up in the euphoria and overlook something. And it is well worth the expense to have the car professionally inspected.

Today if I were looking I wouldn't be so hung up about the year... Blue and White striped GTS is all that matters.

Here is the differences that you will notice.
97 has narrower stripes that don't continue thru the license Plate. The 97 has forged rims that are much stronger and shine much brighter.
96 has wider continuous stripes and cast rims that probably shouldn't be tracked very hard.

You will hear this repeated over and over again on this site... TIRES ARE EVERYTHING! Tread depth doesn't mean a thing if they are 10 years old. My tires were 6 years old. They looked brand new and spun if I even thought about pressing the gas pedal. I put some PS2's on and whoooaaa, talk about hookin up! So, factor a new set of tires into the cost.

Good Luck, the search is half the fun!

Last edited:

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you go with a later model you can get the airbag cutoff and it will be cheaper than a 96. The 96's are priced around the 02's so you would get "more" car for your money going newer.

V

Venomiss

VCA Home

This might help you meet others from the Seattle area.

Talked with Woodhouse already? One of the largest Viper Pits-new & used in the country.
800-889-1893 and talk with Bill Pemberton.

Good luck in your hunt!

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a blue/white is what you want go for it, but I routinely hook up my 3 year olds car seat in the car and kill the airbag,we cruise for hours and he just loves it.He is a bad influence as all he ever says is "Go fast Daddy Go Fast!!" He loves hard acceleration and burn offs.
The 01 has hard points to hook up the car seat and obviously the airbag cutoff.Good luck with whatever you buy,some of my best times have been with him in the car you won't regret it.

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are companies who do airbag kill switches. In order to put one on a car with an airbag, you have to get permission from the NHTSA and it'll run ya somewhere in the $400 range.

If you're 6'5", you'll want the Northwind Engineering 2" seat lowering kit. You lose the fore-aft adjustability of the seat, but it's VERY worth it. A 1" drop isn't going to help you very much at your height, trust me on that. (I'm just over 6'4" and I just did the 2" kit...very worth it).

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't know anything about seat lowering as at 5'9 I need a seat raising kit!!!!!!

come on now, my wife is 5'2" and she has driven the Viper (Granted, she had to put the seat almost all the way forward and pedals all the way back and was uncomfortable with the high hood line.) Of course, she won't be able to drive the car at all now which isn't ideal, but it does give me an excuse to go pick up a Caliber SRT-4 for her to have fun with!. :rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like I'd have a tough time getting the airbag problem worked out. But, having my kids ride is an absolute must.

Ratical 2: I completely agree that good, new tires are a must.

If a blue/white is what you want go for it, but I routinely hook up my 3 year olds car seat in the car and kill the airbag,we cruise for hours and he just loves it.He is a bad influence as all he ever says is "Go fast Daddy Go Fast!!" He loves hard acceleration and burn offs.
The 01 has hard points to hook up the car seat and obviously the airbag cutoff.Good luck with whatever you buy,some of my best times have been with him in the car you won't regret it.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like I'd have a tough time getting the airbag problem worked out. But, having my kids ride is an absolute must.

Ratical 2: I completely agree that good, new tires are a must.

I had an airbag kill-switch installed in my 350Z so my son could ride. It's not a big deal at all. Check out airbagonoff.com. They came to my house, put the switch in in about an hour, and did a great job. Total cost was $400. You just have to submit an application and receive approval from the NHTSA before any company would do the work...You have a valid reason, so no chance they will deny you.

Here's a picture of the switch installed next to my boost controller. (the airbag switch is the box on the right).

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the pic. After reading about it.. seems like a well engineered, and safe, install with good equipment. Thanks a bunch.

I had an airbag kill-switch installed in my 350Z so my son could ride. It's not a big deal at all. Check out airbagonoff.com. They came to my house, put the switch in in about an hour, and did a great job. Total cost was $400. You just have to submit an application and receive approval from the NHTSA before any company would do the work...You have a valid reason, so no chance they will deny you.

Here's a picture of the switch installed next to my boost controller. (the airbag switch is the box on the right).

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to how hard it is to put a car seat in a 96/97 without the LATCH tie downs in the seat? It'd have to use the full seat belt. Does the seat belt allow that? For instance, when you pull it all the way out does it start locking in place in order to hook up the seat?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to how hard it is to put a car seat in a 96/97 without the LATCH tie downs in the seat? It'd have to use the full seat belt. Does the seat belt allow that? For instance, when you pull it all the way out does it start locking in place in order to hook up the seat?

The seat belt does not have the locking feature after full extension like most cars (I just went out and checked), so you'd have to use the belt clips. The good thing is that since the belt is backwards of a normal belt (the shoulder belt on the passenger side goes from left shoulder to right hip) the clip will be a piece of cake to get to. Assuming you're not an expecting father and have put a car seat in a car properly before, you know what a major pain it is to get them in as tightly as they should be for the safety of your kiddo and how hard they are on the seat material....

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seat belt does not have the locking feature after full extension like most cars (I just went out and checked), so you'd have to use the belt clips. The good thing is that since the belt is backwards of a normal belt (the shoulder belt on the passenger side goes from left shoulder to right hip) the clip will be a piece of cake to get to. Assuming you're not an expecting father and have put a car seat in a car properly before, you know what a major pain it is to get them in as tightly as they should be for the safety of your kiddo and how hard they are on the seat material....

Thanks again, especially for going out to test it. Such service!
And, nope, I'm not a newb. Our third kid is on the way this July 4th. Well, it sounds like carseats are entirely possible, so I'll stick with my dream for a blue & white.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again, especially for going out to test it. Such service!
And, nope, I'm not a newb. Our third kid is on the way this July 4th. Well, it sounds like carseats are entirely possible, so I'll stick with my dream for a blue & white.

Hey, I'll take any opportunity to go out and tinker with the car. I'd park it in the family room if I could, but that would not sit well with my wife. :D

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1997 B/W GTS with 5500 miles.The car is just like brand new,news PS2 tires,KN Air Filters and smooth tubes.I am getting a new 2008 Viper Coupe and have a new C6 Z06.So I MAY sell the GTS.I am working several deals now for the best deal.However I will not sell it cheap,If so I will keep it.If you are intereted,let me know.

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disable the airbags by pulling the fuse. Takes a second or two. But of coarse pull it BEFORE you get in...unless you can bend in half to access it.

Use the kid cars seat like in any other car. Put the seatbelt around it and go.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not really as tough as you might think. My '97 GTS has the factory airbag cutoff. The later model dash, keyswitch, and airag were swapped in by the original owner. So, not only do you get the proper airbag cutoff (vs. pulling the fuse, which could still result in airbag deployment if the capacitor in that circuit is not fully discharged) you also get the better looking (IMHO) later model pebble finish dash.

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bernie is the man when it comes to used Vipers. If you can spend a bit more-give Bernie a call and he will do you right.

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick comment about the seat lowering kit.. While I'm only 6'3", most of my height is in my legs, so the seat lowering kit actually worsened my situation. While the seat did go lower my butt actually went closer to the pedals. I also know my situation is the exception. (I have a '96 with 2900 miles for sale, but I want too much - lol! :) Best to you on your search, sounds like your being realistic on your $$$.)

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick comment about the seat lowering kit.. While I'm only 6'3", most of my height is in my legs, so the seat lowering kit actually worsened my situation. While the seat did go lower my butt actually went closer to the pedals. I also know my situation is the exception. (I have a '96 with 2900 miles for sale, but I want too much - lol! :) Best to you on your search, sounds like your being realistic on your $$$.)

Just out of curiosity, how did lowering the seat put you closer to the pedals? With the 2" kit, the seat is bolted in the "farthest to the rear" position. Since the kit puts your butt closer to the floor, it probably feels like you moved closer to the pedals, but I think if you measured the distance, it would be the same as before (but you get the benefit of the added knee room).

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how did lowering the seat put you closer to the pedals? With the 2" kit, the seat is bolted in the "farthest to the rear" position. Since the kit puts your butt closer to the floor, it probably feels like you moved closer to the pedals, but I think if you measured the distance, it would be the same as before (but you get the benefit of the added knee room).

I know, does not make sense at first take. Take a look at the angle of the bulkhead(?) behind your seat, appears to be about 20 degrees +/-. For every movement down of the seat the bottom of the seat moves forward. Quick look at mine showed that if I raised the seat about 3" the my butt could go back about 2". Believe me, for me the lowering kit got me headroom, which I did not need and legroom worse than original.