looking for datalogger to logg oil pressure on track.

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea, what can be used to log oil pressure and maybe other data on race track?

All the standard scan tools I found can not log oil pressure.

Is for a 2004 SRT-10 engine.

Perfect would be including software for analysis on the laptop.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
E-Mail us- we have plenty of options, including limited information on one coming in the near future that will pretty much dominate the market if it is half as good as it sounds.

Fitting this description would primarily be standalone digital dashboards with internal logging capability. They can be connected directly to a variety of engine and chassis sensors at logging rates [up to 200hz per channel or more] far exceeding that of anything that can be extracted via OBD-2. The logging capable dashboards will log sensors, GPS signals, and similar items with the ability to download them later via an Ethernet connection. These files can then be viewed with extremely powerful analysis software.

There are more standard solutions that require specific sensors, or software upgraded versions that can be calibrated to work with any type of 0-5V sensor like the Viper oil pressure sensor.

Lastly, there is a full-color digital dash in the works that looks to be incredibly nice from a a visual appeal and layout standpoint. It shares many of the same features, but is the newest generation of dashboards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your message.

A Digital Dashboard is not required, as we already installed the original Dashboard in the Z4.

I am looking for a simple solution to logg the oil pressure during track time.

This could be stand alone or with smart phone.
For the connection I would prefer OBD or direct to any cable or the oil pressure switch.

Here the latest picture taken on Essen Motorshow:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out MoTeC; they have flexible acquisition devices and I have seen oil pressure logs at 5 Hz on a MoTec log. I think they were captured from the JTEC.

Rich

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for your message.

A Digital Dashboard is not required, as we already installed the original Dashboard in the Z4.

I am looking for a simple solution to logg the oil pressure during track time.

This could be stand alone or with smart phone.
For the connection I would prefer OBD or direct to any cable or the oil pressure switch.

here the latest picture take on Essen Motorshow:

E-Mailed as well:
The OBD-2 port is not capable of this. Oil pressure is not a standard shown PID, and the data rates are far too slow to be useful even if it could be done.

Unfortunately, the dashboards are usually the most economical solution to this issue, given that you would use the features. A true standalone logging system is generally far more expensive, as the very basic external loggers are designed to be used with a standalone engine management system such as Pectel, Motec, or another system with a CAN based output, none of which the JTEC controller can do. If you do not want a logging dash, there are very few real solutions left at any reasonable price. Granted, I cannot tell you much about some of the low-mid market products, as I do not use them.

This car would have been a candidate for something like a Pectel or Motec ECU, as it would have handled all of what you are looking for by default internally.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Does anybody use AIM EVO4 16M, 5CH?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230533359921

It seems that this could get all required informations.

I do not know how powerful/configurable the AIM software is, but yes, that hardware looks to be up to the task. I would assume that sensor curves can be programmed- but if not it may require use of their sensors.

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the AEM AQ-1 data logger. For the money it's hard to beat.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Look at the AEM AQ-1 data logger. For the money it's hard to beat.

Agreed. It may not have some of the features as the EVO4, but if they aren't features you need- its a waste of money.

I haven't looked much at some of these more simplistic logger-only options until now, but they certainly seem to be able to fill this niche for a reasonable price. Its just that usually, someone looking for high Hz datalogging will either already be running an EMS that can handle it, or can use a dash as well, which combines the hardware. In the upper end markets, this causes the standalone loggers to be extremely upscale, and pushed out of this smaller niche.

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your information.

I have send enquiry for AEM AQ-1 Data Loggin​g System​.

Are there any experiences with it here?

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I find the PID to read the oil pressure over OBDII?

I tried some PID to read the oil pressure but they did not work.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Oil Pressure is not an available PID over OBD-2, and it is useless to do so even it it could be managed. The sample rate is so low that it would miss anything but a complete pressure loss for a half second+. It is not a high rate data logging system by any means when talking OBD-2, you need a datalogger that can read the sensor directly.

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can read oil pressure over OBDII with the Bosch KTS 670, so that PID should be available, but you are right the sample rate is not very high.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I can read oil pressure over OBDII with the Bosch KTS 670, so that PID should be available, but you are right the sample rate is not very high.

That is odd- no scanner I have shows it, and I do not recall being able to access it even on a DRB-III. Not impossible, but odd nonetheless, and not very useful either way.

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is odd- no scanner I have shows it, and I do not recall being able to access it even on a DRB-III. Not impossible, but odd nonetheless, and not very useful either way.
Thank you.
So I will go for complete separate system with additional sensor.