Looking for help on why my car caught on fire

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Need some help. On Sunday at the top end of the track after going threw the traps my car caught on fire. I was hoping to find something when taking it apart that would shin some light on to WHY. I found no fuel leeks around the gas tank or fuel filter. I couldn't see an over flow tube from the tank if there is one. What I do know is that morning I double clicked the gas handle when topping off the tank. The car caught on fire the first pass of the day. I made four other runs after the fire and all was well. Has this ever happened to anyone before ? Could it be un-burnt fuel from the exhaust ? My fuel shut off is set at 6100 rpm's and I did hit the rev limiter.

Thanks
4729IM001595-med.JPG

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Youch! I have no idea but that is brutal looking... Good luck with insurance!

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HaHaHa !!! Welcome in the club.
That's an exhaust fire.
Happened to me too.
Easy to fix the bumper.
But you ran quit long with the fire in your ass.
My bumper didn't burn as much as yours.
As soon as we saw the fire we stopped.
It was easy, we were on the dyno.

Now more seriously. Have a look on your spark plugs. Remove each of them. One of them is likely not firing. It will be very easy to recognize that one because the cylinder will smell like your fuel tank. The excess fuel was evacuated into the exhaust. This is what ignited. Since my fire I only use NGK FR-5 plugs ... their top can't get loose.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the angle in the pic it's difficult to tell but it looks like your exhaust tips aren't extended far enough past the bumper cover. Are you catless? Regardless, with the mods you have you probably have exhaust flames on deceleration.

Seen it before.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not just your whole bumper. But your third brake light . The paint around that has also been burned.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you by chance have any aftermarket gadgets installed to alter the fuel delivery? Such as a Vec2?

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"power steering fluid cap? it has been a problem before and started other cars ablaze"

did you even look at the pic?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Like some of the people above said, it maybe due to incomplete burning of your fuel or maybe an injector stuck open...which would give you lots of raw gas in exhaust...which will burn obviously out the tail pipe. I have had fire come out of my exhaust pipes due to running a bit rich...but that is my two cents.

I don't think power steering would have anything to do with that fire since it's in the rear.

Oh, BTW..if you look at your pipes also..it looks like you are running a bit rich?

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mentioned VEC2 because I know of another viper that a fire started at the rear (I believe) and the cause was deemed the VEC2).

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The unburnt fuel in the exhaust sounds like the most logical answer. I can't believe you had the balls to make other passes after that happened. I would have been scared to even drive it, thinking I had a fuel tank issue.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing about the causality of the VECII and fires. There are a lot of VECII's out there... where did that cause a fire that you know of?

JD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi