looking for pics of Zero altitude flight (ZAF) rear caliper covers

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still looking for remedy to make those ugly stock rear calipers match the front without spending a small fortune, I ran across Zero altitude flight on the web and they sell covers but the pics they have posted are small thump-nails so you really can't tell what they look like on the car. Please post or comment if you've have or seen these...at $75.00 a pair sounds like a very cheap remedy if it works...Here's a link to their website...
thank you...

http://www.zero-altitude-flight.com/html/exterior_access_.html

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you consider "Toms" brake covers, of toms 40mm brake upgrade fame? Available from his site and probably partsrack.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had them on my 1998. They look identical to the fronts. Just need to be careful on the install that you don't overtighten them.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has a 2001 or 2002, so he can't use Tom's with his ABS.

If that's the case, then, back to the OP: I don't think those ZAF covers will work with the ABS rears. Make sure that you verify that before you purchase. I do not see any way that those ZAF covers can bolt to anything on an '01-02. That is probably why Tom did not produce a version for the 2001-2002. The caption on the ZAF site says that they use existing holes in the brake pads. My 02 brake pads have no holes where the picture shows them in the covers. Only one hole with a rivet in it at top center.

Unless someone comes up with some clips to utilize the cast tab protrusions on the sides of the brake assembly, there is no simple way to mount a cover on there. IMHO

OP
OP
A

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AZTVR=I would love to do Tom's upgrade but I don't believe he has a kit for the ABS (at least I didn't find on his website) I will keep trying to contact them to verify how they will fit if the pads don't have the holes. It's not looking good, sooner or later I might just have to max out a credit car for something that would just be cosmetic to me cause I really don't need any more stopping power, I just don't...

RAYW=which ones did you have Tom's or ZAF's? Could you tell that they were just some cheap cover or did it actually look nice and like a real caliper??

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sooner or later I might just have to max out a credit car for something that would just be cosmetic to me cause I really don't need any more stopping power, I just don't...

You own a Viper and have to max out a CC so you can do a poser mod to your car? Pricelss! Keep em' coming :)

OP
OP
A

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You own a Viper and have to max out a CC so you can do a poser mod to your car? Pricelss! Keep em' coming :)

LOL, my credit cards get max'd out at about $3000 (that's it) which it was more. I love the way Brembo brakes look (real Brembo) but I really don't need the added performance so yes I would actually pay dearly to make the car look better, heck if that wasn't the case why would we spend so much on a nice looking car anyways, why would some spend thousands on carbon fiber interior parts awesome paint jobs, well...you know what I mean;)

OP
OP
A

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyone out here with a 2002 Viper that has added rear caliper covers without any issues?? If so can you please lmk from where to purchase and post a picture? thank you...
BTW I emailed Tom and will post what he says to verify...

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your front calipers are made by Brembo-BTW. The rear caliper is actually a common break caliper that is also found many cars from Fords to Renaults. There are rear caliper covers that can be found on ebay. Good luck.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched a video about brake (caliper) covers on YouTube, it was done by some guys that modify mustangs. They bought some of the plastic covers which look quite smart and you have to glue these onto the caliper body using special glue. The mod looked good.....BUT. There were some setbacks, you had to break the glue to change out the pads, then there was the more serious bit, they found that by gluing these caliper covers on the caliper itself was not getting the correct cooling and customers were getting brake fade! There was a follow up video where they now do not recommend fitting these anymore.

Found the video, click here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...tion_266522&src_vid=MIuyRKhGPqw&v=USxss2ASNAs

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RAYW=which ones did you have Tom's or ZAF's? Could you tell that they were just some cheap cover or did it actually look nice and like a real caliper??[/QUOTE]

ZAF. They look identical to the fronts. Mine were bolted to the pads.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were some setbacks, you had to break the glue to change out the pads, then there was the more serious bit, they found that by gluing these caliper covers on the caliper itself was not getting the correct cooling and customers were getting brake fade! There was a follow up video where they now do not recommend fitting these anymore.

Good input! Why would anyone want to do a poseur mod that compromises serviceability AND performance????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala